Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My first time quilting from the backside of a quilt >

My first time quilting from the backside of a quilt

My first time quilting from the backside of a quilt

Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM

It is really breathtaking Charisma. You've stepped up and
hit another one right out of the ball park. I never tire of looking
at you creations and am always in awe of your fantastic work, but never surprised. Thanks for sharing.
Lori
Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 PM

It is beautiful Charisma!! You did a great job...as always! :thumbup:
Old 06-01-2011, 03:26 AM

Beautifully done.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 AM

WOW, just beautiful, you out did yourself on this one, I love it.
Have a Blessed day
Ellen
Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
Originally Posted by Dayken
Chrisma,

When you follow a pattern on the fabric, do you find a path to follow that makes the pattern and yet does not cross over itself? In other words, do you pre plan your approach to the design? I am Dayna, I have met you several times at Fabric Patch - I'm a new quilter. I am finding that I have to go over lines I have already sewn - I'm sure this is a NO NO. Any advice?
Thanks, Dayna
I did cross over some lines..it would be impossible not to...why is it a no no? I know that we try not to in some cases such as stipple and meandering...but I find that I have to in many cases such as loops, feathers, flowers....I mean we cross over lines all the time...so I just tried to keep everything as consistent and smooth as I could...it actually wasn't all that easy....I can see all of my flaws..but today ( a day later) it looks great..and I don't notice them much.
I just did one like that too. It was a charity quilt and a pre printed backing was donated, one of those where the blue lines wash off. The top was simple so I quilted it upside down so that I could follow the preprinted lines. Chrisma is right, it was not easy. I marked the backing/now top to show where the top was on the sides and bottom edge when I got there. I think I would also attach a strip to put on the top and bottom leaders next time also. I actually don't really want there to be a next time. It was not really fun to do.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Love it!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:19 AM

Just love your work. What a great ideal.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:28 AM

Charismah.... thanks for showing us the possibility .... I agree with you about this technique having its own pros and cons ...
The back IS lovely, but the front is not up to your usual standards, eh?

After having seen what you do to make a quilt top "pop" with your expert choices of varying (yet expertly-controlled) free-motion-flow, I wouldn't want you to do a top of mine any other way (not that I could afford you, or that my tops are up to great standards yet anyway)

However, what would it have been like had you used this same backing as the "top" and just a plainsolid fabric for its backing? I guess it would be a whole-cloth quilt top? .... but less concise/ less intense/dense quilting than a usual "whole-cloth quilt" would normally have?

Interesting, to say the least.... Either way, I don't think I would recognize the quilt you just did as a "Charismah Classic" unless told otherwise..... hmmmm
Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 AM

Charismah ..... Re-reading my comment when it popped up, I (AGAIN) realize I need to edit stuff before I hit the "send" button.....argh!

I did not mean to imply anything other than the fact that I was commenting on the technique itself ...

The quilt top is undeinably beautiful .... Whoever did it (you?) did a wonderful job ...... and the quilting from the back is lovely .....

There are several long-armers and machine quilters on this forum, you included, who are developing a very eye-catching "ah-ha" technique .... quite unique to each ...

So, as I said, I will stand pat: I would not have recognized this as a "Charismah Classic" ......
Old 06-02-2011, 05:41 AM

Came out beautiful