Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My newest quilt done >

My newest quilt done

My newest quilt done

Old 05-31-2009, 04:26 PM

Gladgrams--I know you are disappointed at the color of your quilt in the photo--but do not fret about it---we all have that problem from time to time.

Your quilt is wonderful. I cannot believe you have only been quilting for a few months!! What an accomplishment. This is not an amateur quilt at all. And you are going to make a young lady and her parents very happy.

Now---Lancaster---quilt shops everywhere!!! You could have some major stash building fun there----AND the prices are really good. The Amish shops are wonderful!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Wow!!! I love the planned scrappy look, it's wonderfully done :D :D :D
Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM

I think you have done a fantastic job on this quilt!!
My Grand Mother came to the US, from Norway, so I
like anything that relates to your country. Keep up
the great work!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 06-01-2009, 01:41 AM

Hi,

No, I didn't do it as a "quilt as you go" because I don't know how to do that yet :( I don't even know what that is, yet... :oops:

My husband is a creative guy who is computer nerd (geek?) and also writes music. I was surprised when he became so interested in my quilting. He now enjoys "consulting" on the layout options for patterns. I have not yet dared to try to follow a pattern from a book other than to look at one and try to do my own thing. So, I guess all of my projects are originals in that way. I ordered 10 different books on the Internet and get confused reading the directions, I guess due to my lack of experience....

I am just plain having fun right now. And trying not to discourage myself with a desire for perfection - SO I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT :lol: :lol:

Big hugs
Old 06-01-2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I think it is gorgeous! She will love it!
I just ordered 52 yard of material on the Internet to be delivered to my daughter's house. How in the world I am going to get that home is still a mystery. No use getting good deals if it costs a mint to ship them here.

There is a little old fashioned dry goods store called Goods that is only minutes away where the Amish shop for material. At Christmas I didn't know how to quilt yet, so I had no appreciation for all the fabric they sell. THIS TIME I am going to know though...

Norwegians are handicrafters from their early years. They all learn to knit by 2nd grade, 3rd grade woodworking by 4th grade they learn to do simple embroidery. Our neighbor boy is in 9th grade and he just made a small quilt as a school project to show he could design, piece and sew! He is an incredibly intelligent borderline Aspergers child, so you can only imagine how perfect it is. Puts me to shame! The schools emphasize old crafts to keep them alive.

Why more men don't quilt is beyond me because they usually love angles, measuring, planning and using complex tools.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 AM

Great first quilt.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Alaskan lady
Why more men don't quilt is beyond me because they usually love angles, measuring, planning and using complex tools.
This is why my DH likes to quilt as one of his hobbies :wink: Your quilt is great(UFF DAH to your worries as we say in MN). Welcome to the board from Southeast Alaska.[/quote]
Old 06-01-2009, 03:14 AM

Very nice! :D
Old 06-01-2009, 03:20 AM

It looks very good. I'm sure your friends child will think it's the best gift they've ever received. Great job!!
Old 06-01-2009, 03:54 AM

This is why my DH likes to quilt as one of his hobbies :wink: Your quilt is great(UFF DAH to your worries as we say in MN). Welcome to the board from Southeast Alaska.
[/quote]

Congratulations to your hubby. We really do say Uff Da here LOL. It is a kind of way of saying "Fine then" da is "then" Uff is an exclamation. The other ending to a lot of sentences is "Sant ja?" - true, right? as in don't you agree...