Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My Old Singer

Blog Entries

My Old Singer

My Son gave me this. He found it in a storage building at the House He and My Daughter In Law just purchased. Works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Wow, what a great machine. I hope you have many happy hours of sewing on her.

That’s a very interesting machine. It’s the first Singer 66-1 that I’ve seen with the Filigree Decals on it. I’ve only seen the Red Eye and Lotus decals on the back-clamp model 66 machines. I doubt that the presser bar has been changed to revert back to a back clamp, so it probably came out with it.

I would be interested in knowing the serial number of the machine. It’s probably going to be a 1920s model that came out originally with a spoke hand wheel and bobbin winder to match, and then was “electrified” later with the changing of the bobbin winder and hand wheel and an added motor. No way of knowing whether it was outfitted as a hand crank or treadle originally, but it could have been either since it has the hand crank boss (also called the “motor boss”). Later 66-1 machines with the boss in the casting were sent out in both configurations (crank and treadle).

Nice catch there!

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Congrats on your new machine! Here's to many happy sewing hours!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    what a thoughtful son! it's a beautiful machine.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    That’s a very interesting machine. It’s the first Singer 66-1 that I’ve seen with the Filigree Decals on it. I’ve only seen the Red Eye and Lotus decals on the back-clamp model 66 machines. I doubt that the presser bar has been changed to revert back to a back clamp, so it probably came out with it.

I would be interested in knowing the serial number of the machine. It’s probably going to be a 1920s model that came out originally with a spoke hand wheel and bobbin winder to match, and then was “electrified” later with the changing of the bobbin winder and hand wheel and an added motor. No way of knowing whether it was outfitted as a hand crank or treadle originally, but it could have been either since it has the hand crank boss (also called the “motor boss”). Later 66-1 machines with the boss in the casting were sent out in both configurations (crank and treadle).

Nice catch there!

CD in Oklahoma
    The only info I have is the Serial # is G5223978 and is a Model 66 I think was manufactured in 1917. If that helps you any, thanks for any info you might have.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

You buy a house and you are very excited. Then you add to it by finding a treasure like this. Bet they were so happy to give it to someone they know will love it.

What a beautiful machine. So jealous...
    CAgirl1

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyh67 View Post
    The only info I have is the Serial # is G5223978 and is a Model 66 I think was manufactured in 1917. If that helps you any, thanks for any info you might have.
    Thanks for the serial number. I was a few years off on my guess of its age, but still in the ballpark. A 1917 machine should have come out originally with a back clamping presser foot. The Filigree decals still have my attention. I hadn’t seen them on a machine that old before. I suppose it could have been repainted sometime along the line, and the newer decal set applied, but it would take close inspection to be able to determine that possibility.
    That’s neither here nor there though, since you still have a very nice early 66 with Filigree decals. I’d call that a “keeper” for sure!

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    Thanks for the serial number. I was a few years off on my guess of its age, but still in the ballpark. A 1917 machine should have come out originally with a back clamping presser foot. The Filigree decals still have my attention. I hadn’t seen them on a machine that old before. I suppose it could have been repainted sometime along the line, and the newer decal set applied, but it would take close inspection to be able to determine that possibility.
    That’s neither here nor there though, since you still have a very nice early 66 with Filigree decals. I’d call that a “keeper” for sure!

CD in Oklahoma
    Thanks, I am not sure on the date but that is what I found on line. I am proud of it anyway. I am not using it at this time, need to adjust the tension on it. I jusat love these old ones. I would love to have a FW Singer. I used to have one and not realizing what I had gave it away. I was young and dumb, lol...Thanks again for you info. Have a great day, Granny
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    What a lucky find for you!

beautiful looking 66

Beautiful machine, good for you to get it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Love the old machines. It is beautiful, enjoy!!

He found a nice treasure for you!

Blog Entries
    These machines are so beautiful! From what I can see, the faceplate looks very intricate and gorgeous. Lucky you!

great find

Beautiful machine.

Enjoy your machine. What a good find.