Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My sears kenmore sewing machine >

My sears kenmore sewing machine

My sears kenmore sewing machine

Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 PM

HI! There is probably a Yahoo! group on Kenmore Sewing Machines. As there seems to be one for every other SM type. Just ck their search engine under groups. I have at least 4 KSMs and can also help w/ manuals if you can't find one online for free. The model # and SN will give the key to your machines age. let me know if I can help. Cheers, Cathy in MA
Old 03-30-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter101
This is my new/old sewing machine. I would like to find out how old it is, and where I can get threading directions or a manual.
I got it for a dollar because otherwise they(the thrift store) would've
thrown it out. Model number is 158.17032
It is a sears kenmore
the hole in the top takes a disc that makes diffrent stitches with diffrent disc.My step mom had one an my daughter has it now.
I'll see when she gets moved into her new house here if she has any disc.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:23 AM

Hi Debbie you said "while my 158-17032 is a high shank machine, and is hard to get parts to it, especially updated presser feet like a walking foot. "

I have 158-13510, my question is or confusion is I can't figure out if it a high shank or low shank. I do have a site that says they have walking foot for older kenmores.

http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page33.html
and
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02006701000P

I want to order either a walking foot or quilting attachment but unsure.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 AM

This group is GREAT! No matter what anyone is looking for (sewing related) someone out there can help! Its amazing that so many have this machine!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:53 AM

you can call Sears and they will tell you what it is and can order the correct walking foot...I have ordered feet and their prices are competitive.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
Hi Debbie you said "while my 158-17032 is a high shank machine, and is hard to get parts to it, especially updated presser feet like a walking foot. "

I have 158-13510, my question is or confusion is I can't figure out if it a high shank or low shank. I do have a site that says they have walking foot for older kenmores.

http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page33.html
and
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02006701000P

I want to order either a walking foot or quilting attachment but unsure.
I too wasn't sure about the shank issue. So here goes. If the foot when you take off (unscrew) has a long metal piece on top it is long , short piece, it is a short shank. I finally looked on line at Sears to discover this. I also can't even get my machine to pull up any information on line about it. (Sears site) It's just a 1970 machine & my newer one 1985.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Banned

Dont forget they also had a "Super High" shank also. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sears down the street from me carries all of the feet and quilting attachments for their machines even from the early low shanks. As long as you have your foot in hand to compare to you are good.

Billy
Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 AM

Sears kenmore back in the early 1970's offered a high shank machine the 158-17032. That is the one I got for my high school graduation. The shank is obviously taller and not short. Then I acquired a short shank machine, as its easier to get parts for it like a walking foot and monogram attachments.

There is a distinct difference. All the parts I can share beween the 2 machines, except for the presser feet. At the local Sears store here in Phx, AZ there is a pkg of 4 you can buy the the short shank machine. There is an open toe walking foot with its attachable quilting bar, then a open toe darning foot, another piece called a toe craft foot and a ditch quilting foot. I use the walking foot alot. Its Kenmore #6702, all 4 attachments for a total price of about 30.00 only at the actual store.

If you look on Ebay they are selling each foot for that price. If you do your research you can find it less. The pkg says for only an horizontal sewing machine, yet it only fits my low shank machine.

If the shank is over an inch tall, its a tall or high shank, if it even looks short or stubby, then its a low shank machine.

Everything else is obviously interchangable. The Sears store here in Phoenix, the one in Arrowhead Mall or Paradise Valley Mall has this pkg of 4 for only about 30.00 total. I can get one for you if you send me funds and shipping money. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ
Old 03-31-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks so much...you all have been very helpful, now that I know what I have I can order the attachments I want/need. Once again this board saves me again.
You are all the best!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:30 AM

Quilter 101 or others:
I have kept my Sears Kenmore Machine from 1973 in great shape, manual, cams,etc. Its a 158-17032 considered a high or super high shank with a lever to attach the presser feet, not a screw and a screwdriver. I have duplicate cams if anyone is looking for a specific one.

I can photocopy the manual for anyone who needs it. It was printed in green and white, so probably will copy it in black and white, since that's the only color that was used. The front cover has writing on it on when I oiled or change the needle on the machine. Except for that the pages are very good. I"ll need 2.00 for shipping anywhere in the US inc any PO Box. Copying is free, I'll just copy it on my home printer. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ
[email protected]

I also have a short shank free arm Sears Kenmore machine as my back up, its a 148-15600. I have info on that one too. Can take digital pictures of the machines if needed.