Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
my sewing room apt style...flooded >

my sewing room apt style...flooded

my sewing room apt style...flooded

Old 08-27-2009, 07:25 PM

I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I am sure it must feel over whelming. Hang in there and it will get better. I'm glad you are making progress with the insurance, but you still have all the work you have to do just to deal with it. Take care of yourself and keep us posted.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever
THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU THAT RESPONDED AND SENT PM'S. This is why I love this board! Its a waiting game now for reimbursement. Aside from the inconvenience of it all I must say I'm itching to quilt! Thankfully none of my quilts in progress (QIP) were harmed. however I am still claiming them due to the humidity in the room. I will keep you all posted and again Thank You so much for your kind words!
You should NOT wait to do the de-humidifying! Mold can start overnight in the driest of climates. We had a house flood in ARIZONA in the summer - and it took DAYS to dry the wallboard! Demand that YOUR NEIGHBOR'S insurance company start doing it immediately. Your landlord should be the one who wants it done, for goodness sake! It's HIS/HER property that will be ruined, and it's not your fault!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 PM

Let us know if any of your books or magazines are totally ruined. I have lots of old magazines that I'll probably never look at again, and I don't earn my living as a quilter, so I'll be happy to give some of them to you if they're the ones you want/need.

Also lots of books in case some of yours are ruined. Just post a list - you'll be surprised!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 AM

I am so sorry. May you be blessed with many "squishies!!"
Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Bev

It's terrible! I live in FL. too and have been through hurricanes and floods. I lost a lot of my quilting stuff to Andrew. And still more to Charlie a few years ago. Sometimes you just feel like "what's the use!" But it all comes back together, one way or another. I know how you feel and my sympathies are with you.
8)
Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever
THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU THAT RESPONDED AND SENT PM'S. This is why I love this board! Its a waiting game now for reimbursement. Aside from the inconvenience of it all I must say I'm itching to quilt! Thankfully none of my quilts in progress (QIP) were harmed. however I am still claiming them due to the humidity in the room. I will keep you all posted and again Thank You so much for your kind words!
You should NOT wait to do the de-humidifying! Mold can start overnight in the driest of climates. We had a house flood in ARIZONA in the summer - and it took DAYS to dry the wallboard! Demand that YOUR NEIGHBOR'S insurance company start doing it immediately. Your landlord should be the one who wants it done, for goodness sake! It's HIS/HER property that will be ruined, and it's not your fault!
I was going to say this but Joanne beat me to it. My niece had a mess in her condo this past winter due to a builder error and they got the fans in right away. Also make sure you claim everything (your time, supplies, ect )as someone else said--especially your income loss. Hope things get settled quickly. I am really sorry this happened.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Take pics of everything single thing that was damaged if you can...it will help in getting them replaced.
GREAT advise! More thoughts... I have several things insured, (kid's cars, trailer, etc) my agent told me my premium would drop if i got renters ins! Discounts adding up and all! Did you get a discount for your renters?

Do you belong to a local quilter's guild? Does someone have an extra machine you could use? If not how about "test driving" various machines at your house? My local shop let me take my BabyLoc home for 3 days before i bought it. Maybe you could test enough machines to get you thru?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:40 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

So sorry for your losses. I hope the neighbors insurance covers everything. I know how sad you must be, what a loss.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
OMG!!! I am so sorry!!! I also know what it means to loose your stuff from water damage. Mine wasn't a neighbor but much worse. In Florida also Hurricane Jeanne, managed to take my homes roof off. Destroyed a lot,but was able to safe a lot too. Material can be washed and it will be fine as long as it is washed and dryed before it mildews. Books??? I was able to dry some out before pages stuck together. Others not so had to throw them out. Lost pictures of quilts before I could burn them on CD. My Machine I took it with me when I run from the Hurricane. I pray that your machine will be fine. Good Luck
BillsBonBon
Thanks Bill, I too live in Florida and you'd think this would happen during rainy season but not from a tub. I have to take this lightly, if not I'll lose it! Thanks for your kind words!