Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
my sweatshirt jacket ! >

my sweatshirt jacket !

my sweatshirt jacket !

Old 01-08-2011, 05:30 AM

That is a beautiful jacket. Thanks for sharing and also the additional information on how you put the whole thing together. I will be making one at the end of this month and I think I will use your method.

Obie
Old 01-08-2011, 05:52 AM

NICE!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:55 AM

Wow! Nice job
Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 AM

Very nice!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Great job! They are fun & easy, aren't they?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:30 AM

This is really sweet! Thanks for the detailed instructions as well.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 AM

That jacket is absolutely wonderful. Making one is one of my goals for the new year.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 AM

This is really nice! Just saw the additional instructions...thanks! Hope to make one soon!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind:
Do you open the sweatshirt down the front before adding the strips?
How do you get into the sleeves? Are they opened, then sewn closed after quilting?

Most importantly: would you do a tutorial if you make more for coworkers? I've been interested in making one for my sister since she asked for one. Just haven't had time to do research. Our guild will have a class but I have to work :-( Don't feel pressured or anything, but I'd appreciate any answers.
I did open the sweatshirt down the front first. On the front, I did start at the middle front edge with a strip and worked to the outside (sideseam) edge. I wanted to make sure the front middle strips were placed straight and also how I wanted them.

When I took the sleeves off, I also opened up that seam, so it would lie flat. And started adding the strips from the middle point. (I did measure for accuracy, but mostly creased to find the middle....heck, this is a sweatshirt!)

After sewing the front and back pieces together at the shoulder seams, and after sewing the sleeves onto this (the whole thing is still pretty much lying flat at this point), I pinned the entire side seam, including the sleeve seam and sewed it as one long seam. (That is how my sweatshirt had originally been put together, and I just put it back like it came.)

Always believed in the KISS* theory for pretty much everything, and it worked here too! ;-)

*(Keep It Simple,Stupid!)

and, yes, I will do a photo tute when I do the next one. ..but first, a quilt for my sweet, patient, long-suffering husband! ;-}
Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by karenm36
Since I see that it's quilted on the inside but not on the outside, does this mean you treated this as a QAYG? Did you use a sweat shirt that was taken apart and then sewed back together after you sewed all the strips on? This too is one of my favorites that I've seen and like the way this turned out! Makes me want to try one. Any specifics you can give us would certainly be welcomed! This is so nice!
Yes, was a QAYG (took me a minute on that one...I'm new to this!)

and your second question is EXACTLY how I did it. The tute I originally saw didn't have the lining...that's my contribution to the cause!

AS an added tip, the sweatshirt pieces are irregular shapes and manu places I would reach the end of the sweatshirt in one place (like top of shoulder) but the sweatshirt would continue in another (like under the arms....still same piece of sweatshirt.) I just kept adding whole strips until the entire piece was covered, for continuity, then i cut off the extra. (does that make sense?)
There are strips you can see at the shoulder that stop where the sleeves come on, then the strip continues down after the point where the sleeve had come on.

Thsi is a great way to use up a honeybun (took 2) and i will use a jellyroll on the next one, I think. Or maybe patchwork..