Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Quilt - Claudia's Quilt Shoppe

Any suggestions on background fabric is it best to have a light color then

For the background you want it dark enough to contrast with the whites you will be using, but still neutral so that it doesn't over power the other colours.

I made my first snowflake last night and it was a teeny bit tricky with the small pieces, but I used sizing every time I pressed and that seemed to really help keep the points. I also used a single hole throat plate. Now I will go back to chain piecing, but I had to make one entire square first.

This is really fun!

Janie

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The instructions suggest cream for the background.

I'm setting here looking at the snowflake pattern trying to come up with a way to avoid those tiny pieces! It may be time to get my husband to whip the pattern up with CAD so I can paper piece it.

Karielt,
    Yes, I think that a light color is best - I am using a beige print - tone-on-tone....similar to the the color in the original instructions...because of all of the different colors that we will be using each month I think that a light ground will be best.

JanieW - I totally agree...and when I did the snowflakes, I found that when I added the 2 halves, I opened the seams rather than press to one side..it was easier and the snowflakes are more flat that way.

Lisa,
    I am sure that you could paper piece these if you wanted to....I didn't even think of that...the triangles are small for the snowflakes - but they do go together pretty well..February is a lot easier - pieces are bigger...... just have to get though January's snowflakes....

Blog Entries
    Don't worry, Lockeb. I will conquer the triangles one way or the other! I've got to pick up some cream fabric tomorrow for the background and then I will be off and running.

Thanks for finding this link. It looks like fun. I'm betting March has something to do with shamrocks.

Lockeb, count me in, also. It looks like a lot of fun, and manageable as far as time commitment.

Now I am off to dig through the stash for a neutral!! :lol:

How many are there doing this now?

Lisa,
    I'm seeing some shamrocks also :-)

Quilt Mom, from what I can see here, there's about 25 of us here now - that's pretty good....

count me in too. Just have to remember to check every
    month for the next pattern. Think I'll stick a post it
    note on my screen. Never saw one like this before, looks
    like fun. Yeah Lockeb, I'm seeing shamrocks too and
    pumpkins and leaves too. Tee Hee! Course I gott add a
    cat in there somewhere too.
    Catlady

Hi Catlady...
    Well, perhaps October will be a black cat instead of a pumpkin.... :-)
    Glad that you are joining us - we are going to have quite the showcase at the end of the year :-)

Ok Billll! I'm in! I have a long narrow space in a hallway that is crying out for a wallhanging, so I am going to make mine much narrower, but I'll definitely being do this one.

I'll be using scrappy tone on tone look as well for the background. I like the look of scrappy backgrounds too!

Banned
    I'm hating hating hating these little triangles. Someone do them for me, Please??????? :) I'm surprised I have any fabric left after all the times I've ripped these poor things apart. I don't know why I cannot compute these things!

Blog Entries
    BK -- just cheat. Draw the block out as a PP block. Much easier! I did one the old fashioned way and said ENOUGH!! PP all the way on this one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    BK -- just cheat. Draw the block out as a PP block. Much easier! I did one the old fashioned way and said ENOUGH!! PP all the way on this one.
    LOL I can't even cheat now! I ran out of fabric! :roll:

Mamagus...Wonderful.......our group is growing...... :-)

OH BK, please don't give up on this one :-)......February is much easier - the pieces are bigger.. :-)
    HUGS, HUGS, HUGS....

Lisa, I didn't even think about PP - I really need to try that - because that is a great idea...... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    I'm hating hating hating these little triangles. Someone do them for me, Please??????? :) I'm surprised I have any fabric left after all the times I've ripped these poor things apart. I don't know why I cannot compute these things!
    Don't give up! Nobody hates triangles more than I do and I'm doing them by traditional piecing them. I have been using sizing when I press and they are actually behaving. Use a leader and chain piece them. you can do it. Think how great it will feel when you get them done!

Blog Entries
    I've had company all week and they are in my guest/sewing room so I haven't been able to start this but I'm so ready to. We have some more family in town next week but they are staying elsewhere.

HI Janie,
    Yep, once I got going - it was chain piecing all the way - :-)

JLC,
    Bet once the guests leave it won't take long to get in there and get crackin... :-)

Thanks for sharing I am going to try it and am thinking about trying the lone Star Quilt my grandmother made a lot of these and I would love to make one for my grandkids like she made for me

Westheread.....WONDERFUL..the mystery quilt group is getting bigger..... :-)

Banned
    We can all take a moment and rejoice now. I found a few scraps in my scrap bin and my snowflakes are done! Hallelujah! I will try to post pictures later...maybe I'll even get those hearts done today!

Blog Entries
    Good for you BkinCO!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures!! And can't wait until I can get started on them!!
    :) :)

It sounds like an interesting challenge, but I am already one month behind... will give it a try anyway. Perhaps some of my scraps will work. Thanks for info!!

Banned
    Oh, it doesn't matter when you start ! Just look at it this way ~it's only Feb 5 and you have 23 days to finish January AND February before March's pattern is up. Easy :)

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast