Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need help please >

Need help please

Need help please

Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Well, I talked to her today and she said no problem paying me. I think it will work out fine.

She doesn't cook much, (widow) & doesn't have any hobbies except crocheting.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 PM

I have the same thought.... I haven't read all of the posts yet ~ but this is exactly what I was thinking :)

What were your plans for the quilt while you were making it?

Originally Posted by oatw13
If she were a REALLY, REALLY dear friend of mine (and I didn't need the money), I would simply finish it and give it to her as a Christmas gift. I make things because I enjoy it and I give things because I enjoy sharing parts of myself.

I don't need to make money off of everything I do. And, if it made her happy, no amount of money would make me feel as good.

By the way, the quilt is beautiful.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I have the same thought.... I haven't read all of the posts yet ~ but this is exactly what I was thinking :)

What were your plans for the quilt while you were making it?

Originally Posted by oatw13
If she were a REALLY, REALLY dear friend of mine (and I didn't need the money), I would simply finish it and give it to her as a Christmas gift. I make things because I enjoy it and I give things because I enjoy sharing parts of myself.

I don't need to make money off of everything I do. And, if it made her happy, no amount of money would make me feel as good.

By the way, the quilt is beautiful.
When I made it I had no plans, it was just an extra. This is the one I ended up giving to my daughter, they loved it!

close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95444[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-95437.jpe   attachment-95439.jpe  
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM

Gorgeous, gorgeous quilt! I was going to suggest that maybe you could barter, trade something she can do for you. She may be a great cook & would be willing to make your Holiday pies or something like that.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:40 AM

I would have to ask myself some hard questions on this problem. Does she want a lot for nothing?,HOw good a friend,How much do I have tied up in fabric let alone time.I hand piece,and hand quilt also so I know about this. Can she and I live with the cost alone and maybe just a little over? Then go ahead with what you decide. Just looking at the quilt and as I say I do sell some of mine,I would get at least 800 to a thousand if I were selling it to other than a close friend. And that is a low estimate
Old 10-31-2010, 03:41 PM

It looks exactly like one my dear grandmother made me many years ago, only hers was not queen size. I LOVE IT! Can't help you with the pricing, but I know that if she bought one, it would be several hundred dollars. Don't sell yourself short.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:12 AM

Does she have kids who might chip in (with or without her knowing about it) once they know how much she wants it?
You could quietly check with them before quoting her a price.
In fact, I'd tell them, with a smile, "I know exactly what your mom would love for Christmas (or other gifting occasion) 'cuz she TOLD me, so here's a way for all of you to split the cost of something she's already said she'd love to have, plus your shopping would be taken care of -- win/win for everyone" [including you!].
Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Charge what you think were fair if YOU were the one buying and she was selling.. What would you pay for it?

I so undercharge my quilts for family and friends that it does not bother me as it does some, I enjoy knowing they love and use the quilts as they are intended to be..
Why not look on the internet and see what prices they are asking. I did see a quilt site(Last year) that dealt with sales. A lot of the quilts were the Amish quilts. Check it out and then you will have some idea. You can also see if she is willing to pay the quilt off in installments. I am on a fixed pension and would be willing to do that. Just ask your friend and see what she says. You can always just charge for the fabric you used and give her the time making it as a gift.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:29 PM

This is a beautiful quilt. I was just wodering what you decided? I personally would have kept it for myself. Whether your friend can afford the quilt shouldn't matter. People always want things they can't afford. If you accept money from her make sure she understands that it is no where near the actual value of the quilt. You wouldn't want her to get the idea that it is all your quilt is worth. Be well.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 PM

Dawn, I am certainly NO help on pricing. I am too softhearted and would probably charge much less than I should. Just had to say that I really love this quilt. One of my very favorites, but have not had nerve to start this. Good luck with your pricing.