Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Need help please >

Need help please

Need help please

Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 PM

What a beauty! It's a given fact that we just can't charge what a quilt is really worth. Look within your heart, and consider the joy you knew while making it for her. When I recently turned over a Lone Star I'd worked on over a period of a year, and had agreed upon as a barter to pay a $750 landscaping fee, I just had to consider how much I'd enjoyed making it, because the quilt was worth much more than what I got for it. Happy quilting!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 AM

That is one beautiful quilt, don't know if I could part with it!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 AM

Can't help you at all with the pricing, because if I had made this quilt I could not bear to give it up! I'm sure your quilting will make it even more beautiful. I think a millions dollars is a fair price!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 AM

If I read correctly, this was initially intended as a gift to your daughter(?) then changed your mind because of the fabrics and this was hanging in the closet. Just based on that, it seems you weren't going to recoup any expense incurred from the start.

Given what's been established about your dear friend, it's not her place to establish the price in anyway.

Since she wants to give you some kind of monetary compensation, my thought is to let her have it and in return maybe the two of you could go to a LQS to pick out some new fabs that she could get for you, without burdening her wallet. She gets the satisfaction of contributing according to her limits toward your work, you get the happiness of giving the quilt that was to be a gift and now still is, you both get an afternoon of fun AND get to add to your stash.

Sounds good to me, IMHO.

What a kindness to respect her dignity when it comes to her financial circumstances, even more so because she appreciates and cares for your other works. To me, in this case, based on what you've said, that's priceless right there.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by moonangel12
Is a barter system an option? Are there any skills or items she can offer you as sort of a trade?
My thoughts exactly. Fair is fair, no matter how little money she has, she should recognise how much you put into this.

How about you say- the fabrics cost X and I put in Z hours making it. Then agree a money price for the materials but tell you want her to spend Z hours on something for you!

The fact of the matter is that you could sell it for a LOT if you put it on the open market, so there is an opportunity cost in giving it cheap to this friend, whom you have already given a quilt to this year.

When is she going to come around looking for her next one? The problem with agreeing a low price is that she may feel she can come back and "buy" another at a similar price next year. What happens when she says she has a wedding to go to and "can you just run up another one of those 200 dollar quilts of yours, and maybe give me a little discount"?

Beware the slippery slope- no matter what you do, you may end up resenting her later.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:08 PM

Oh! That is just beautiful! My favorite pattern. Some day I hope to make one. The colors are just what I am wanting in mine! I don't think I could part with it!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I used the Elenor Burns method for this and it was really easy!!

Thanks again everyone for your comments and help :)
Old 10-27-2010, 02:36 PM

Just wanted to say what a beautiful quilt. What to charge is a tough one, I have no idea. Isn't there some kind of formula a person can go by?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 PM

If she can't afford to pay you all at once, have her pay you so much a month 'til it's payed off.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:54 PM

It is just beautiful. I'd have a hard time selling it or giving it away. Is there some why she could do something over a period of time to help you, sort of a bartter situtation, if she can't afford to pay you the full fair price? Ideas might be gardening and canning foods for you, helping you clean house for special occassions, etcc.