Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newbie's turn to share!

Yes please on the pics.
    Thanks,
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    That is truly beautiful! Although I have to admit that I cannot make out a single letter, name, or image. They look like abstract snowflakes to me!
    The key -- from left to right then top to bottom:
    flower (the flower is not the "o" in the word flower -- it's simply a flower between a couple of the letters), Andrew, cameras (images of them), Rebecca Kerby, reading (also has open books with ribbon bookmarks sticking out of the binding), Megan, Lisa, Family (the word family), Joanna, love dogs (a heart and dog in each section), cooking, Jessica.

I agree that they are difficult to see the name or design -- except for the cameras. Most of them really do look like interesting snowflake designs. One method we used when looking at the black flakes was to section off the name or design with our hands. We angled our hands to make an open triangle and placed them on either side of the name or design. Remember that one side is right-side-up, and the other side is the mirror image. 8-)

We're glad you like our little quilt.

wish I was in your class. I think that they are probably old enough to do some actual quilting on it if you start the project at the beginning of the school year.

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!
    Great quilt!! What a wonderful project for your students!!

Blog Entries
    I would love to see the blocks the kids made up close. Is that possible? The quilt is absolutely incredible!

I love the quilt!! It is truly unique! I would love to see a tutorial for the nameflakes. You know one picture is worth a thousand words!!

Ditter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    I love the quilt!! It is truly unique! I would love to see a tutorial for the nameflakes. You know one picture is worth a thousand words!!

Ditter
    As soon as I can I will post a tutorial. I've asked my student who won the quilt to bring it in tomorrow so I can take some close-up pics of the flakes. Once I put a paper border around the name/design, you will be able to see the name/design.

I will be putting together directions for making the flakes, too. Things are a bit hectic right now. They have two more full days of school and then start their final exams on Tuesday. The last day of school is June 11. Grades aren't due until June 16, but I will be attending a conference in Durham, NC so will head for my mom's house in the southwest corner of Virginia for a few days before heading to NC. Lots of driving ahead of me! :shock:

We're glad you like our little quilt! :wink:

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    What a great idea!

Very cute. Hi and welcome from St. Louis, Missouri

Beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing

Cool!

The students followed their teacher's instructions and the result is stunning. Great job, teacher!

It is so nice to see a teacher get so involved with her students. The quilt is beautiful and the meaning of it (class project) even more.
    Karen

That is such a neat idea. I did one of the hand prints of my daughter's first grade class. Each class was to come up with a project that could be in a silent auction to raise money for their school. It is a Christian School. I had just a few days to put it together and get it in the mail. I live in Ohio and I had to send it to Texas. One of the mothers whose daughter was in the class made a bid of $500.00 . I am sure her mom wanted to donate that amount to the school. Her daughter will have the hand prints of all her classmates to share with others when she is older. Your quilt is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Don't you just love awesome teachers. They are very blessed to have you as a teacher. Truely great teachers are hard to come by. I was blessed with three truely gifted teachers and I still think about them.
    Your project turned out beautifully and I'm sure that if you continue the tradition you will be blessing alot of children.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all of you for your loving words and many, many compliments about our 8th grade quilt! My students are beaming!! You have really been so sweet. They are thrilled that their quilt is being seen and admired by people all around the world!! :-D :-D I let them read some of the postings, and their eyes just sparkled with pride!

I absolutely love these children. I am so blessed to have them in my life. Their enthusiasm for this quilt was so inspiraitonal. One of them said today that she wished all of them could have had a quilt. When the winner of the quilt brought it in today so I could take some close-up pictures, they all drooled over it again, stroked the fabrics, and complimented each other on their flakes.

I am sure your students learned a lot from this project. It is quite attractive. Maybe you turned on one student or more to quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by franie
    I am sure your students learned a lot from this project. It is quite attractive. Maybe you turned on one student or more to quilting.
    The student who won the quilt at the auciton actually won one of my other auction items two years ago: lessons in how to make a quilt. I included all of the supplies, and I gave as many lessons as were needed. We titled her quilt "Puppies and Posies" because it had dog heads and tulips on it; all made with HSTs. She loves it! Needless to say she is hooked!! She caught the bug! :lol: She had her mother buy her a sewing machine so she could make more quilts. Her most recent one was a tee shirt quilt. So the torch has been passed! :wink:

The quilt is beautiful. Those nameflakes are awesome.

What a great idea. I love that. Thanks for sharing.

Lovely quilt and story Pab58 - children are so creative with a little encouragement - hope they all turn out to be quilters one day

Great project: teamwork, symmetry, science (fusing the fabric), measurement, art. I bet you hit state standards in all areas!! Congrats.

I was just thinking...you could submit this for several grants, and I bet it would make a good presentation at teacher conferences or inservices. You could tie in your state standards and demonstrate that creative teaching is still alive in spite of NCLB.

You and your students are very talented. This is an amazing quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by pab58
    Quote Originally Posted by franie
    So the torch has been passed! :wink:
    YES I love it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast