Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Note to self:  DON'T do this again! >

Note to self: DON'T do this again!

Note to self: DON'T do this again!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

I think you have done a fabulous job on this quilt. I could not be unhappy with it. As for the bleeding spots, they are all part of the history of the quilt. The owners may love this quilt dearly and you have given it new life. I could not find fault with the spots.

Wonderful restoration of a very old quilt!

peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 08-28-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
Just an update on the quilt......I got some ammonia and borax, and tried DaisyJ's suggestion, but I guess it was too set in by this time. Anyway, the woman wasn't overly upset about the bleeding, and she even said it just gives the quilt "character". She is one of the sweetest ladies I have met in a long time. She wasn't upset about the front bleeds or anything. I even told her I'd rip out the quilting and replace the area on the back where it bled, but she wouldn't have it, so I told her I'd charge her less money for the quilting, and she was grateful for that. But I can't wait to hear what her teenaged DD has to say about it!
I am sorry it didn't work, our quilt was still wet when we treated it so that may have helped. I am glad the lady wasn't too upset.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:07 AM

I'm glad the customer wasn't upset.
So sad when you do such a lot of work and meaning so well, and then this happens.
You're great!!!!
and like someone else wrote: I would trust you to work on any quilt of mine!!!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:58 AM

I also had a quilt that bled from the burgandy in the patches. The quilt was on a quilting frame being quilted. The roof leeked and I didn't know it got the quilt wet. I finished quilting it and then washed it with synthrapol it all came out. I love that stuff.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:40 AM

Try Folex. It is a spray cleaner for spot treating carpet. It takes red wine out of white carpet and I have used it on furniture without any issues. After spraying the affected areas if it is going to work the staining should slowly (5 minutes or so) disappear. After that I would let the fabric dry and not touch it anymore. Bought it at Lowes.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 AM

I always...always put a color catcher in wheni wash a quilt. Just made one with a lot of dk blues. when I washed them separately (several times) lots of color on catcher. Held my breath when i put finished quilt in wash. it is blue and white. put in 2 color catchers and not a bit of bleeding. Hooray.......
Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 PM

I have several tops that look almost this bad, they were in my Mom's stuff. Not sure where they came from may have been from my grand mother?? so far I haven't had the nerve to start work on one. it's easier to make new ones than repair /quilt old one in this condition.
You did a great job .
Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 PM
QM
Power Poster

This happened with antique blocks our guild was given. A member's marvelous DH spent hours with Oxyclean powder and a toothbrush and got it all out.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:40 PM

Whew! I'm so glad this ordeal is behind you. It's unfortunate you weren't paid the full amount. You certainly deserved it.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM

I am feeling your pain. Thanks for sharing what works and what doesn't....