Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts.... >

Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Originally Posted by Rainbow
OK....what did you do with the gifts..???
Yeah! Wanna know. :0)
Me 2 :-o
Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 PM

you worked hard to make wonderful gifts from the heart. I would still give them and say since we are not doing them this year I am early for next year then get something awful for the white elephant exchange.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:17 PM

THIS sounds like a winner....

Originally Posted by toomanycats
you worked hard to make wonderful gifts from the heart. I would still give them and say since we are not doing them this year I am early for next year then get something awful for the white elephant exchange.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:22 PM

How it went......

We were to have the entire (hubby's side) family get together on December 19th and do a white elephant exchange. (Although, my dh and I were not happy about this because gifts were done, we never brought up the subject to his family.

On the 16th of December, we received a call from mil stating that fil is to ill to have the family over for Christmas.

So on the 19th, my husband and I decided we would take the prepared gifts to both the sils doorsteps and to mil/fil doorstep. We made our first delivery to the sil who lives fairly close to us (no answer so we left them on the enclosed porch). Before heading the 40 miles to the inlaws, I called and asked if we could stop in to drop off gifts before heading to the next sil's home. Mil said that would be fine and we could stay for a quick coffee. So we headed down,when we arrived we found the sil (who lives close to us) and her dh was there having an early dinner with the inlaws. We gave our presents to the fil and mil. We told the sil and her dh that we left their presents (and their children and grandkid presents) on their porch.

I did not get a thank you from anyone. But my mil's comment to me and my dhwas that I was making everyone look incompetent. We were informed that it would be best to leave the other sil presents (kids, hubby and all) at the inlaws, so we did.

On December 22nd, we received a call for mil, stating that we are now getting together on the 24th for Christmas (no one mentioned the white elephant gift exchange.)

So on the 23rd I get two phone calls, one from mil asking if the boys want pajamas or itune cards. I answer itunes. Also, to bring fruit platter. Next one of the sil calls and asks if boys want ice cream gift cards or subway. I say ice cream.

So on the 24th, my dh and I and two sons with one son's girlfriend (we had made prior plans with her for the 24th) head 40 miles south for the get together.

When we arrived, no one mentions the homemade gifts. We sit down on have sandwiches (catered and yummy), salad and fruit. Then we are told to gather and the inlaws and sils start handing out presents.

Our Boys received $40 each of itunes from mil/fil, $15 each for ice cream from the one sil, and two movie tickets from the other sil. (Please note that we are all in shock.)

My dh and I received $60 restaurant gift card from inlaws, nut mix with beatiful ornate ornament and dish towels from the one sil who lives close to us, and fancy candles and a popcorn medley from the other sil. My immediate family is all in complete shock. But still no mention of the gifts we delivered or the white elephant.

I have to say that we had a nice time (not great, but very good.) We even had the whole family Skyppe with the bil in Hawaii that we all never get to see (my 18 year old son last saw the bil 14 years ago.) The bil does not come to the mainland often and calls/writes even less.

All the gifts we received were so unexpected. Nice but unexpected. And still no mention of the homemade gifts or the white elephant.

Also, I always send thank you cards and did immediately for the gifts we received and to tell them how much we enjoyed getting to socialize...... but we have not received any thank you cards in return. My side of the family I would never get one or expect one but dh side was trained my my mil that "it is a MUST and is always done".

If I didn't know better, I would think that my sewing skills suck....but I have been sewing too long for that to be an issue.

Next year, more quilts to charity and no gifts for extended family.

On a side note, the gift bags of dice/dominos for my sons friends were a HUGE success and the teenagers were delighted and said the teenager's even said thank you.