Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Patty's 38 year quilt +2 others + pattern >

Patty's 38 year quilt +2 others + pattern

Patty's 38 year quilt +2 others + pattern

Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 AM

Very pretty quilts
Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 AM

They are all beautiful G-Patty!!! When I first started quilting using any kind of a machine was not considered quilting.
Recently, in a popular quilt mag, all of the baby quilt contest winners were completely by machine. The 2 hand quilted entries were gorgeous (IMO) and did not place at all.
I think both machine and hand quilting are skills to be learned and each has its place.
But my grand made her first quilt at 12 yo and said she has no desire to learn by hand lol!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 AM

Thank you so much for sharing the photos and the stories! I'm in awe that you never gave up on the 38 year quilt! How much more inspirational can one beautiful quilt be!!! I think I really love the BRIGHT one best but that embroidered block quilt has me thinking of a setting for some of my blocks..thanks again!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:28 AM

Thank you so much. Keep watching, I'll find the photo of the original attempt, scan it in and share but have a Happy Stitchers meeting to attend so it won't come until evening or tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:28 AM

What beautiful quilts - all so different, yet from the same pattern. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by laceybritt
They are all beautiful G-Patty!!! When I first started quilting using any kind of a machine was not considered quilting.
Recently, in a popular quilt mag, all of the baby quilt contest winners were completely by machine. The 2 hand quilted entries were gorgeous (IMO) and did not place at all.
I think both machine and hand quilting are skills to be learned and each has its place.
But my grand made her first quilt at 12 yo and said she has no desire to learn by hand lol!!!!!!
Thank you. Machine quilting was just getting talked about back then but I truly did live in a quilting blight area. Our churches all did quilts which were tied to save time and donated to various charities in need but that was about it and of course they used all kinds of old clothing to make them.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:31 AM

Thank you so much. It was always in the back of mind as I put a lot of time and effort learning to do the hand embroidery squares and wasn't about to waste them. I'm going to scan in the original photo I took before reconstructing the quilt and will share within the next 24 hours. Have a meeting to go to now and need to grab a sandwich, pack up and get moving.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 AM

Attached is the 38 year quilt in it's original form, taken just before I ripped it apart to reconstruct it. The floral blanket above is what my husband's grandmothers recommended I use for batting but of course it showed through the white squares really making for one ugly ugly quilt. I was so disappointed but that's when I knew I had to do a lot of learning before tackling quilting again. A few years later I did a twin sized quilt from a kit from Lee Ward's Catalog back then. It was applique with a marked top and although now I would consider it easy, back then it was a challenge. Unfortunately we were too broke to buy film to ever photograph it. He loved it and used it for years until it was worn beyond my abilities to repair and I did the quilting on my mother in law's sewing machine; which was a royal challenge and that's when I decided that if I ever did quilt, I'd be a hand quilter.

Check out the photos again as I'll put up my very first 2 attempts at hand quilting which we do still have but are so worn I can't figure out how to repair them so haven't.

Thank you everyone for your interest in my projects.

38 year quilt start
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28718[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-28718.jpe  
Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Beautiful quilts. :D :D :D
Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 PM

Thank you