Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Pictures of scrap blocks >

Pictures of scrap blocks

Pictures of scrap blocks

Old 11-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by ranger
Originally Posted by sewjoyce
All of the blocks look so wonderful!! But I really have a stupid question for the people who make blocks out of scraps. I have a bin in which I've placed all those nice pieces that I just couldn't bear to throw out and now the bin is running over. How do you pick what goes with what? My daughter says that I'm "color coordinated" challenged so sometimes I can pick some real losers in quilt fabrics. How do you decided which scraps go where?????
I had no plan I just picked pieces from the pile and and sewed them together. I think that a scrappy quilt looks good because any colors that clash are lost in the overall look.

I'm thinking of using the 16-patch blocks in a quilt called 'Purple Stars'.

http://carterquilter.files.wordpress...2/img_2292.jpg

Izy posted a pic of a quilt that will be my inspiration for using the crumb blocks. Thank you Izy.

ranger

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/19941.page
(look at Izy's second pic)

How lovely to be able to inspire you Ranger :D :D I have done a couple of crumb block quilts, in fact there is a tutorial in the tutorial section showing how I do mine. :wink:

Here's a couple of other pictures of scrappy quilts :D

2nd put on point, Sasha likes this one better!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36118[/ATTACH]

My first crumb quilt, using scraps donated by one of our guild ladies
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54987[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-21978.jpe   attachment-36118.jpe   attachment-54987.jpe  
Old 11-05-2009, 07:36 AM

Adobe Reader is what is needed for the download, so be sure you have that feature on your computer before trying to download, or you will be disappointed.

IZYYYY!!! I've been missing you! I like the picture of your scrappy back! I have heard of a lot of people who use their scraps to make the backs for their quilts. I would have to do something different, because both of your pictures are beautiful quilts and look as though everything was planned!
I don't know if those pictures can be moved/copied here ... but they sure are good examples of scrappy use.
Thank you Ranger for posting the link .... that is a good one for this thread.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Izy

Awwhh thanks Omak!! I do love scrappy, but have to admit to doing abit of colour coordinating...Maybe my next scrappy will be a full blown, grab out of the bag type next!! :D

I have put another picture of the scrappy wonky here, complete with borders

I didn't like the top as it was, so cut down the edge blocks and added the 1" gold border, then used all the scraps to make a piano key type border!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42496[/ATTACH]

This was all the leftovers, intended for the back, but everyone here convinced me to make it into a quilt in its own right...it's still waiting!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54612[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-42496.jpe   attachment-54612.jpe  
Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 AM

oh, Izzy! That tutorial is an excellent source of scrap quilting.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/6951.page

In case any of us are new to the board (welcome, by the way <wave>)
at the top of this page, left hand side, just above the blue bar are the words "Quilting Forum -> Pictures"
Pictures is a link ... and clicking on Quilting forum is also a link, which will take you to the main index page for the Quilting Board. Scroll down, and you will find "Tutorials" ... clicking on that link will take you to all of the tutorials currently available on this website. Lots of good pictures and explanations.
Now .. usually, I just go to recent topics to see what is going on, but if you look at the main index page for the Quilting Board, you will see that all of the recent topics fit into certain categories ... There is a lot more to the Quilting Board than just Recent Topics, and it is pretty amazing how many fine ideas and encouragements are here that we don't see by only checking out Recent Topics.
(I say this as I confess that it took me MONTHS to figure this all out <g>)
Keep the scrappy pictures and links coming ... I am on my way out to feed, and then back to the machine for some more scrappy blocks ... I am considering pinning them all on to a sheet for a picture ... might be a good idea, since I don't really know how many quilts I may actually have created from just this ONE box! ... Have a good day, all <wave>
Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 AM

I just think your quilts are a perfect example of how coordinated a scrap quilt looks. The sashing helps a good bit, I am thinking.
I'll have to tell you why I love the scrap quilts, and I think it is because when I was a little girl who was made to take naps on a scrap quilt (didn't know what it was at the time, of course) by my babysitter ... it didn't take too long for my busy mind and fingers to notice the different fabrics and trace the quilting patterns ... try to connect the similar fabrics, try to find a path through the quilting stitches which wandered all over the place.
Because I remember how fascinated I was as a small child, when I am making quilts for veterans, I try always to inject things that attracted me as a child, including the fabric.
I envision a little girl coming to Veterans' Home to visit Papa and seeing the quilt, finding something she just can't keep still about and starting to talk to Papa about things little girls and Papas love to talk about. Keeping in mind that upon Papa's passing, the quilt finds its way home to the family, I just feel duty bound to make sure that everyone in the family has something to appreciate about Papa's memory, last days, and the quilt that he has now passed on to his loved ones. I have not found a pattern which can accomplish what I am attempting to reproduce with stilted instructions and color ways ... the more, the merrier, for the families I may never meet, but think about all along the way.
Catch you all later <wave>
Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 AM

Well, I have all these great scrappy quilt tops and no pictures. :? I will have to rectify that, and soon! The quilt here is one I am making for my sister for her wedding quilt. The main part of the top is finished and sewn together. I am planning to add 1 border that is a dark cranberry color (her main color in her bedroom) and the final border will be a square in a square block turned on point. I love those, even if they do seem to take forever to make. They really do add a lot to the quilt and once I get some pictures taken I will show a few examples.

Edit: Holy smokes! I had only read page 1, not realizing there was more. This thread sure took off. It's wonderful to see all the interest in scrap quilts. 8)

This quilt is created with scraps given to me by all my friends, and some I stole from classroom garbage cans. ;)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]53668[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-53668.jpe  
Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 AM

Your scrap quilt is great, Tiffany!
Interesting that you are making it for a wedding gift, since that is the same pattern I used for our oldest son's wedding quilt! It is the only quilt I ever hand quilted, and I just did straight angle across the square quilting. That is when I learned why people came up with curves and swirls! Straight lines a boring to do!
I don't have a picture of it since it was done BC (before camera <g>)
it took me FOREVER to use up all the blocks I had created for that quilt, and I am not too sure I don't still have some of them laying around in one of the many boxes I have purchased to "control and organize" my scraps!
Thank you for posting your picture on this thread ... we will have LOTS of visitors who will be encouraged by your endeavor! :wink:
Old 11-05-2009, 02:39 PM

I took another picture with a ruler beside it. In case the numbers don't show up, I measured the 1/4 triangle square at 5/8 of an inch. Most of the narrow strips are 1/2 inch ... and, some blocks have more narrow ones than that, but not many.[/quote]

Wow Omak and everyone else who works with small stuff - I really will have to limber up the fingers to give this a try.

Thanks Izy - I downloaded your Crumbblock Tutorial. I probably wouldn't have thought about the larger outside pieces on each block until I was trying to sew across all the seams I would have had.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Izy

Your very welcome Deecee, just glad to be able to help make life easier, if I can find an easier way I like to share with my friends here :D
Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM

I absolutely love what you've done with your scraps! I don't have a lot of scraps since I am just trying to start a fresh stash but the ones I do have are tossed into a tall plastic kitchen garbage can that sits just under my cutting table. I don't throw anything over two inches away because occasionally I love to do paper piecing and those little scraps come in handy.

I really need to get in the habit of organizing them a better way...I guess by size. I've thought about saving my shoe boxes for this very thing.

I hope you get a lot of response to this thread. I'd love to see what others are doing with their scraps.