Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Only people that like scrappy quilts will appreciate this photo (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/only-people-like-scrappy-quilts-will-appreciate-photo-t166761.html)

debcavan 11-07-2011 06:30 AM

Yes I can appreciate that photo. I love scrap quilts

dahlshouse 11-07-2011 06:32 AM

Good thought mixing it up in dryer... and salvaging the fabric...... Look forward to seeing it finished...

rwquilts 11-07-2011 06:35 AM

You go girl! That's a lot of hard work!

Murphy1 11-07-2011 06:36 AM

I keep saving my scraps too, and think I will start after the holidays putting them together. Just like a One Block Wonder is a fun surprise as to what it will look like in the end, the same will be true of a scrap quilt. I also have a spider web quilt that uses scraps as the background and 1 1/2 inch strips of varying fabrics to make the webs.I am half way through with it and look forward to adding more scraps to finish it off.

I hope you will post it along with this first picture when you are done. Enjoy

joym 11-07-2011 06:36 AM

you should have lots of fun with this project....woman after my own heart.................never thought of putting them in the dryer to mix up the scraps...good idea!!!!

LeeAnnT 11-07-2011 06:38 AM

I never would've thought of using the dryer to mix up the scraps. Did you have a problem with edges of the squares fraying after being in the dryer? Or is that only a concern if the fabric had been washed and was wet.

wanttobe 11-07-2011 06:39 AM

That is a great idea to post it later with the original photo and the finished quilt

Originally Posted by Murphy1 (Post 4646129)
I keep saving my scraps too, and think I will start after the holidays putting them together. Just like a One Block Wonder is a fun surprise as to what it will look like in the end, the same will be true of a scrap quilt. I also have a spider web quilt that uses scraps as the background and 1 1/2 inch strips of varying fabrics to make the webs.I am half way through with it and look forward to adding more scraps to finish it off.

I hope you will post it along with this first picture when you are done. Enjoy

wanttobe 11-07-2011 06:55 AM

I found some the fabrics frayed a little but before I cut any of the fabrics I always washed and dried and ironed the item (skirt or what ever it was )so I can't really say which ones frayed more. I only put them in the dryer for about 5 minutes with three dryer sheets. I hand mixed the squares by themselves first but realized this was doing nothing that is why I put them in the dryer.

Originally Posted by LeeAnnT (Post 4646140)
I never would've thought of using the dryer to mix up the scraps. Did you have a problem with edges of the squares fraying after being in the dryer? Or is that only a concern if the fabric had been washed and was wet.

Quiltinelaine 11-07-2011 06:55 AM

I too have some "scrappy pieces" but everytime I start to make the small square pieces I get carried away with another idea to make a different quilt and there you gooooo; Need to take the time to CUT and make my scrappy: Thanks for the inspiration::: Happy Quilting Hours:

paulettepoe 11-07-2011 06:58 AM

A treasure box is what came to mind. How fun, cant wait to see what you create.