Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Question about Quilt of Valor fabric selection >

Question about Quilt of Valor fabric selection

Question about Quilt of Valor fabric selection

Old 07-22-2011, 07:20 AM

Much to beautiful to cut :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 AM

I also am with a group of QOV and some would prefer to match their couch color so they accept any color quilt for the wounded and veterans.They try to make everyone happy with a quilt. Beautiful fabric...go for it!!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 AM

I do not do quilts of valor because I do quilts for the National Guard in my state.Each state has wounded people and all you have to do is contact them.Often the quilt was given to the mother to give to the soldier and rarely was it mailed so my group saved on mailing.My son is in the Guard and many soldiers have received our quilts thanks to his suggestion.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I would use this for the backing and find fabrics that work well with it for the quilt top....just a thought:)
Me too.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
my son in law (16 years & counting in the service) told me when i sent a patriotic looking quilt that military people do not use those quilts- they will hang them on the wall- or fold them up and put them away- but it is just not ok to use it-
i don't know if it's just him & his group- but the one i sent to him does hang in a special place in a certain building at his (home base)...i've made him a few quilts using camo fabrics- and other fabrics-he uses those- and some of the guys have requested ones like his- but i do not send patriotic- red/white & blue quilts anymore- i save those for local fundraisers- and organizations
i do not know if it is like that at the va hospitals- that the patients (feel weird) about using one- to my s-i-l it's like sitting on a flag---a big no-no
Plus I would think that every soldier has other tastes than red, white and blue. So, whatever you want to make would be fine.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM

Too pretty to cut! Love the idea of using it for backing or as a 'whole cloth' that you quilt along the design.

Great colors!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM

Hi - Here in Ocala we are making varying colors of red, white and blue using the D9P.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:12 PM

I would use this for the backing and find fabrics that work well with it for the quilt top....just a thought:)[/quote]

I agree
Old 07-22-2011, 01:24 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Since the patterns on the fabric are mostly triangles, why not get some solids to match, make up one large block similar to one of the patterns in the fabric, and use this for the back? I hope that made sense! What I see is a solid-color quilt with one large block in a pattern similar to one on the back, with some of this fabric for the binding.

I wish I had a computer program, I'd show you what I meant. But I'm still a graph paper-and-pencil kinda gal.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:26 PM

I would use that whole fabric as the top. I agree that it's too nice to cut. I would just border it, back it, and quilt around the pattern. It's gorgeous just the way it is. Not all quilts have to be from many pieces. If you want to make a block for the quilt, I'd make a block for the center of the back to match part of the pattern on the front. But I'd keep it simple, not to detract from the front, but it would 'say' that a lot of thought went into the quilt.

Thank you for making a QOV.