Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Question about Quilt of Valor fabric selection >

Question about Quilt of Valor fabric selection

Question about Quilt of Valor fabric selection

Old 07-22-2011, 01:34 PM

I've done lots of quilts for QOV and all of them have been red, white and blue. Like someone else said before, those seem to be the most popular, but there are always those who will be hoping for something different. I'm sure someone, probably many someones, would love a quilt made from this fabric! It's gorgeous. Just a note--I know that QOV does not want any quilts that are pieced to look like the American flag. They say that too many of our wounded are reminded of their buddies that didn't make it and have been brought home in flag draped caskets. So sad.

I was at another site--Soldiers Angels--the other day. They love all kinds and colors of quilts for their wounded, even fleece blankets with the tied fringe edges. Put soldiers angels in your search bar and you will see the wonderful things they do, too! (Thanks to a member of this board who told me about them. I want to help out this organization so much).
Old 07-22-2011, 01:38 PM

I found the website: http://www.soldiersangels.org/

Kallen, great suggestion. I'm going to check them out myself.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned

love your fabric.
GOD bless.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:06 PM

How about a one-block wonder?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Kooklabell said:*I'd just stitch around the shapes and place a nice border on it.*
I don't have a LA, but that fabric looks like a beautiful quilt all by itself. I would do that for myself if I had that fabric! Someone will love this, no matter what you do. Good luck and God bless.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I would use this for the backing and find fabrics that work well with it for the quilt top....just a thought:)
My thoughts exactly! Any soldier from the southwest would love this two quilts in one concept.

It is very rewarding when making quilts of valor...
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by erstan947
I would use this for the backing and find fabrics that work well with it for the quilt top....just a thought:)
ME TOO!...you could do the Indian hatchets block or barn swallow...would be really nice....good thinking..not everyone wants to recieve a RWB quilt!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
Since the patterns on the fabric are mostly triangles, why not get some solids to match, make up one large block similar to one of the patterns in the fabric, and use this for the back? I hope that made sense! What I see is a solid-color quilt with one large block in a pattern similar to one on the back, with some of this fabric for the binding.

I wish I had a computer program, I'd show you what I meant. But I'm still a graph paper-and-pencil kinda gal.
I like your idea. Think I'll play around with it a little this evening. Every other design seems to clash or be too busy.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:23 PM

This would make a lovely QOV quilt. Keep it simple, add a couple of borders to bring it to size. Maybe find a backing fabric with wildlife in colors that blend.

I also do not make red, white & blue quilts for QOV. The typical recepient is a 20 something male. So, coming from a family of all girls and having only a daughter & grand daughter it gives me the chance to use "guy" fabrics.

So get out the sports, wildlife, things with wheels, etc fabrics and have fun. I'm collecting music and guitar fabrics for my next one.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

I agree with some that's a very bright colored fabric, but that's also the Southwestern colors. I think I would find a somewhat simple block with those colors and use it as a backing fabric. It is really pretty.