Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Show me your first quilt >

Show me your first quilt

Show me your first quilt

Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
I love that Tisha! If you really feel the need for another border, I'd say the navy, otherwise you could just bind it in the navy - I like to use dark for bindings because I think it really frames the quilt. Ohh - just had anothr look - blue and yellow - I LOVE it!
Ah ty K
Yes can't beat Blue & Yellow I have to agree. Now I think I may leave this top out that will remind me to go & buy some border fabric. Oh if only I had a brain to remember these things :lol:

Tisha
Old 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by saravincent
I started this in about 1966 or so, taking the tiny scraps that my mother would allow me to have because they were too tiny to use. It took me several summers to make. Then I hated it so much that I poked it away at Mother's house. My sister finished it for my daughter a couple of years ago for her birthday (they have the same birthday). I still don't care for it much, but it's really fun to look at the cloth and find things that our clothing was made from . Like "do you remember this skirt? or I had a dress from this one".
Wow Sara

Thats one beauty of a scrappy quilt you have there, so precious now to reflect on the contents of the fabrics - just think your daughter has a little bit of your work & your clothing. BTW I won't let on to you how old I was in 1966 :wink:
A Georgous Quilt

Tisha
Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by karenherdina
I took a class in 1993 and the shop had me pick out the fabric and I had no idea what blocks would be used. I was never very happy with the outcome too white.
Karen

I love your quilt, it's very fresh with all the white - kind of romantic too :wink:

Tisha
Old 07-08-2009, 03:27 PM

Here's my first one...... been hooked ever since!

All of your quilts are great! thanks for sharing
Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Well would help if the pictures were attached!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-17917.jpe   attachment-17918.jpe  
Old 07-08-2009, 04:07 PM

"Now do you think it still requires another border say of navy or a navy marble fabric, all suggestions gratefully received.

Tisha"

I would take a strip of navy like your inner border and use it on the outside edge just to hang your binding on. Or just bind it with the same navy color fabric. Either way will complete that puppy.

tim in san jose
Old 07-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
I would take a strip of navy like your inner border and use it on the outside edge just to hang your binding on. Or just bind it with the same navy color fabric. Either way will complete that puppy.

tim in san jose
Ah ty Tim - I also thought the navy would stop the edges from looking grubby too.
BTW - where have you been ???

Tisha

Old 07-08-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1962
Originally Posted by k_jupiter

tim in san jose
Ah ty Tim - I also thought the navy would stop the edges from looking grubby too.
BTW - where have you been ???

Tisha
Quilting... stay tuned for some pics one of these days. I just finished (or will finish tonight) a QS top with 24 different fabrics in it. *L*

I have picked up a Tin Lizzy 18 and am learning how to use it.

When I am not working or traveling to Germany.

tim in san jose

Old 07-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

This is the First one I finished, but not the first one I started. I made some mistakes and it was a learning experience. I gave it to my sister for Christmas that year. 1999.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-17965.jpe  
Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 PM

I'm so impressed with so many of these "first" quilts. Such ambitious projects too! Wow. This is a picture of my first humble quilt called "Simple Life.". It was a kit from Connecting Threads. The pictures were preprinted, and then I cut and added the frames and borders. Then, not really knowing anything else about quilting and how to go about it -- I machine sewed around almost every element in every picture. I used well over a dozen colors of thread on it. Wish I had a picture of the close-up "quilting" on this one, but it was a philanthropy quilt for my guild and was donated. My second quilt was one I called Gerta the Goose. I got brave enough to echo quilt this one. It was also donated. AND the Connecting Threads kit had so much extra fabric in it that the background in Gerta is leftover from backing Simple Life. Nowadays you just hope to get ENOUGH fabric, and I had a couple of yards left over.

Simple Life Quilt - my 1st
[ATTACH=CONFIG]40348[/ATTACH]

Gerta the Goose - my 2nd
[ATTACH=CONFIG]40350[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-40348.jpe   attachment-40350.jpe