Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Show me your first quilt >

Show me your first quilt

Show me your first quilt

Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
After seeing yours there is no way I would post my first one. You have very nice color selection. That is a pretty quilt.

Mine, well, let me just tell you I gave it to my father in law and he gave it back. Enough said.
OMG, I think that would have killed the quilter in me. I would have given up right then and there...lol!
That was so rude of him, i think i would have exploded and told him to stick his head up his bum or something; he wouldnt be in my goodbooks.
i got really angry here i m sitting, i cant belive he insulted you like that, thats just mean.
Even if it wasnt perfect it was still made with love and that should have been appreciated :!:

i will find mine kinda first, i m not sure if i can call it a quilt, its just squares sewn together, with towelfabric as batting and all in one, cause it was suposed to be so my friend could use it as a baby blanket but also if she turned it around to change the baby on, i thought it was clever anyway :oops: :oops: :oops:

[img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...m/Bilde038.jpg[/img]

i m kinda scared showing this but here it goes :wink:
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by angieagmw
I got my first idea on quilt making from the Memory Quilt on the movie "Step Mom" about 10 yrs ago. I loved photography back then better than sewing. As you can see, some of the pictures that were iron ons have rubbed off through the years. I originally made it for my mom who has altzeimers. I made this Halloween wall memory quilt the same time.

I love that, that is what i want to do with the one i make now for my bed, add some photos around here and there;
was it any special way, fabric etc you used, any special pattern?

luv nina
Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by youme
Are the fabrics you have all made in Spain? Where can I find them?
Sorry Youme, the few fabrics that we can buy in Spain are all from the USA, they are very expensive to buy too!! I started off with a few fat quarters and just worked on a couple of blocks at a time, and anyone who was returning to the UK for a holiday used to bring back fat quarters in what colours we needed :D The sashings and border fabrics I sent to the UK for :D
Old 03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by Yvonne
A lot of beautiful "firsts" being posted here. Interesting to see what got us all hooked on quilting.
My first quilt was a yo-yo that my Great Aunt had started. She had probably 1/4 to 1/3 of it done and asked if I'd like to finish it. I was 15 at the time and a junior in high school. I finished the quilt before my senior year. I still use it on our guest bed, 40+ years later.
I didn't do any more quilting until we adopted our daughters. They each received a pre-quilted blankie made my mom. That was that until just before I retired when my sister helped me make a small wall hanging. After retirement it was all ahead full! No to make up for lost time!
Here's my yo-yos.
Now that is a true labour of love, how wonderful that you finished it and still use it :D :D :D
Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Sunnyhope - that is a beautiful quilt and the baby obviously loves it!

K x
Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Sunnyhope - that is a beautiful quilt and the baby obviously loves it!

K x
Awwwww do you really mean it :-o

i mean, i dont think one square are the same size ,lol, it was my very first and i had no idea what to do, just an idea in my head, hadnt read a book or online :lol:

Thank you so much, it means so much to me :D :D :D
(to be honest i wasnt sure if the mum said she loved it because she really did or because i made it :oops: :)

luv Nina
Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Izy

Originally Posted by sunnyhope
Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
After seeing yours there is no way I would post my first one. You have very nice color selection. That is a pretty quilt.

Mine, well, let me just tell you I gave it to my father in law and he gave it back. Enough said.
OMG, I think that would have killed the quilter in me. I would have given up right then and there...lol!
That was so rude of him, i think i would have exploded and told him to stick his head up his bum or something; he wouldnt be in my goodbooks.
i got really angry here i m sitting, i cant belive he insulted you like that, thats just mean.
Even if it wasnt perfect it was still made with love and that should have been appreciated :!:

i will find mine kinda first, i m not sure if i can call it a quilt, its just squares sewn together, with towelfabric as batting and all in one, cause it was suposed to be so my friend could use it as a baby blanket but also if she turned it around to change the baby on, i thought it was clever anyway :oops: :oops: :oops:

[img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...m/Bilde038.jpg[/img]

i m kinda scared showing this but here it goes :wink:
What a great idea Sunnyhope, a reversible changing mat, I think your quilt is so sweet and the baby looks like a doll, she is gorgeous :D :D
Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM

Sunnyhope I think the baby quilt is very clever. The baby seems to like it too.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

@mary: why did FIL give it back?

I made one for a friend once and she was less than thrilled. She pointed to my sampler quilt and said she'd rather have that one. I was appaled and decided "HARUMPF, it'll be a cold day in hell before she gets ANYTHING handmade from ME :twisted: " But I had to review my idea and motivation - it just wasn't a good fit. I'm glad she didn't pretend to like it and then toss it in a corner.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 PM

My MIL had passed away and I think he just didn't want it anymore and he didn't want to give it to anyone else. I did make it sound worse than it really was and for that I apologize.