Show me your first quilt >

Show me your first quilt

Show me your first quilt

Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by k3n
OK - here's mine and it's awful! I knew nothing, read nothing, just made it up! I EPPd it and used all sorts of fabrics I shouldn't have done - polyester, nylon, bridal fabric! Nothing is 'true' and the quilting is just dreadful! I bought REALLY thick poly batting because I thought it would be nice and hand quilted it - if you can call it that - using stab stitch!

BUT, I can't help myself - I love it! For sentimental value more than anything. It hangs on the wall facing our bed and I often just study the fabrics in it because individually, they're beautiful! It can't be washed because of all the different fabrics, that's why it's hung on the wall.

K x

PS Sorry the photo's so dark - it's night here and the light in our room is dim but believe me, that's the best way to look at it!

BTW the pink feather boa got hung up there recently - I had it for a fancy dress party!
It's NOT awful - from what I can see, it's hanging pretty straight, and I like the colors! You did very well for not having directions to follow! I'm glad you have it where you can see it every day instead of folding it up out of sight somewhere.
Thanks Joanne! :D

K x
Old 04-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Izy
This was my first quilt, about half of the blocks were stitched by hand, then I got a new machine and there has been no stopping me since :D
I have seen this sampler quilt before, and it is one of my all time favorites of all quilts i have ever seen. I know you keep it on your bed, Izy, but if it should ever decide to run away from home...it has a safe haven, right here in the deep south, lol...not holding my breath though, your just as good to your flowers and pets, as you are to your quilts.
It's just wonderful! :wink:
Old 04-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilting memaw
This is my first finished quilt. It was for a weeding last year. My hubby helped me with it, the math part and the lay out. It is my own design and fabric choices. It appraised for over $4500. Talk about shell shock!
I just adore your avatar...is it a boyd's bear?
your quilt appraised at $4500.00. I think I would absolutely faint! good for you, quilting memaw! and hubby helped, how special! :D
Old 04-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

K, I really can't see your quilt on my monitor...just dark shadows, but wanted to tell you, that it's so great that you hung it up, and the fabrics in it, hold so much meaning for you.
a feathery boa, huh? yes, think you are a sassy red hat girl, for sure! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Old 04-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

SunnyHope,
I am sure the mom really did love the quilt, and you can tell the baby does. I think it takes real love and courage, to put ourselves out their for ppl, so we may make something we think is technically better, in the future?...if not for these first projects, how would we have gotten there? :D be proud of it :wink:
I'll post when I get another disposable camera, etc.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kyiav10
My first quilt is still in the frame being hand quilted! But after seeing these firsts, I think I might be too embarassed to show mine. These look so much better than mine.

Kyia
Wait till you see my first. I had never been exposed to much quilting, and certainly not the process! I didn't know what the heck I was doing, but just to get everyone brave enough to show theirs, I will get another disp. camera, and get a pic. So, in the meantime, we love pics, and I am sure, we will think it's nicer than you do, that is the way it goes. :D
Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Kyia:
Please show us your quilt. We are not judges here and each of us have been where you are now. You did not see a close up of my first quilt, at least you can not see the mistakes I made. Like puckers in the material, going outside the ditch, etc. I was almost not going to give them the quilt because I knew the mistakes and my sister said that is what makes it so much more wonderful. The imperfections that go along with hand made things. Besides she told me, no one else will notice them but you, you are not making it for a competition but for the people you love. She was right.
We just love seeing everyone else's creativity. So don't be shy, post the quilt when you can.
Penny
Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 AM

Kx:
Love your first quilt. Really adventurous for a first quilt. Hexagons are hard to sew together, at least I think so. Love the all the colors.
Penny
Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 AM

2Doods:
Wow nice colors she must have loved it. So vibrant!
Penny
Old 04-03-2009, 07:14 AM

These first quilts continue to amaze me. They are all wonderful. I'm so happy everyone is willing to share their firsts. Haven't we learned a lot since that very first quilt? I hope we have some more brave souls who'll be willing to share their firsts.