Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Show us your bravery - show us the ugliest quilt you ever made. >

Show us your bravery - show us the ugliest quilt you ever made.

Show us your bravery - show us the ugliest quilt you ever made.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Are you kidding? My first ugly quilt was only available to the natural naked eye; NO virtual/pictorial/digital/ memory of it exists!!

Jan in VA
Same here. Although I suppose I could dig it out of that closet where it's been stashed for years.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 AM

You know, I actually really like this quilt!

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
The first quilt I made was a Grandmother's Flower Garden. You cut hexagons for the back, batting, and top; sewed them on 5 sides, turned them right side out, quilted them, then stitched them all together. I had hundreds of hexagons all over my house. I used what ever fabric I could find: cotton, silk, denim, batiste--you name it I used it. And I thought it was lovely!!! Please don't laugh too loud:[ATTACH=CONFIG]431874[/ATTACH]
Old 08-24-2013, 07:32 AM

OK, I'll be brave. I've been quilting for 18 months and I actually took a class. BUT if you know me, I couldn't wait for the class to start. Soooooo, I had found some squares my Mom had cut before she passed. I have no clue what the fabric content was. While waiting for the class to start, I jumped in. I sewed the blocks together, kinds like I remembered my Mom doing them. I knew about batting, backing and hand tying, as that is what she used to do. I can't remember what, if anything, she did for binding. So I made he back extra big and just folded it to the front. I had no clue about quilting, as she always hand tied. So I "hand quilted (?) embroidered" the squares. I sent it to my grandson (her favorite great-baby) who is in the Marines to use in the barracks. He has never used it. (Bit of a tear here) he asked his Mom to figure out a way to display it in his room at home, he doesn't want to mess it up. (LOL, he doesn't have a clue the errors and just plain messed up it has, but he loves it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]431954[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]431955[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails corey.jpg   corey3.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 07:44 AM

These quilts are all beautiful in their own way. I always thinks of all the hours of hard work attributed to the finished result, so they must have been worth it.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:06 AM

I came here looking for 'ugly' quilts and all I see are nice ones. I'm very disappointed in this thread.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 AM

It is amazing how we hate our own quilts. This was the mystery quilt 1st January 2013. It's the colour combinations I hate.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 10:57 AM

Ok, I'm brave.... I've been quilting for over 10 years, last month I did this monstrosity...I haven't sewn it together. Once I did the layout and shopped my stash and made a whole different quilt. I learned every pattern cannot be made by any fabric line. I might put sashing of the black on it but right now I just can't believe I made something that awful
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 PM

Okay, here is my ugliest quilt. I liked the colors, but they just don't look right together. Right now it is loaded on the quilt frame, awaiting inspiration for quilting. I'm a little disappointed and embarrassed; it is supposed to be a gift for my DIL. I hope she doesn't hate it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]432003[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0789s.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
Ok, I'm brave.... I've been quilting for over 10 years, last month I did this monstrosity...I haven't sewn it together. Once I did the layout and shopped my stash and made a whole different quilt. I learned every pattern cannot be made by any fabric line. I might put sashing of the black on it but right now I just can't believe I made something that awful
I guess I'm nuts...I really like it!!
Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by MDQuilter View Post
I came here looking for 'ugly' quilts and all I see are nice ones. I'm very disappointed in this thread.
me too. I was thinking I'd see some ugly ones. None of these are. Most are very pretty in their own way--and not even close to ugly.