Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Singer 319 in need of TLC

Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Very NICE! You did an excellent job cleaning. You should put this in a treadle.
    I might have to if DH doesn't have time to do the wiring. I just have to have a frame/table - I have an empty treadle base. I guess I could just hold a flash light up while I treadle away. Did you notice the belt on the inside??? It had a motor and a belt outside then the other belt inside. Very curious machine. The wonders of how zig zag evolved...
    Yes, I did notice that belt. Looks in good shape and will last a long time.
    The internal belt is in good shape so I was very careful not to get any Dawn or kerosene on it. I hope I NEVER have to do anything with that belt. ;-)
    I've had to get that belt back on and it's a b*tch!

Thanks for the great before, during, and after pictures Miriam. They really tell a story of what a machine can look like when someone who cares gets a hold of it.

This is great--I really like seeing the whole process. The difference between the underside before and after really shows the work you are putting in to it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    This is great--I really like seeing the whole process. The difference between the underside before and after really shows the work you are putting in to it.
    Most old machine under sides are black so you can't really tell the difference.

Blog Entries
    hehehe well , I've got to admit, my first thought was after taking it apart , the car wash was the next visit. You've done wonders. I'm sure she'll be just fine cause her momma is a stickler for gettin things done. hehehe Yall do realize that this was kiddin from Arkansas???

Really interesting thread! Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Miriam, good job, I thought Billy's tut were good, but, this is even more clearier. Thank you for sharing. Thanks for keeping is simple and plain to understand. Good luck with it.

Hi, just thought I'd let you all know the little secret we use around here. We use GOOP hand cleaner to clean, oil and it leaves the machine very nice! To clean the heavy stuff, just slather on and let it sit for a bit. This also takes care of any rust. I use it on every machine and this is all I use.

Blog Entries
    She is in definite need of a full spa treatment but she will be a beauty when she is all cleaned up. Have fun with her and show pics after she's all dolled up!!!

you can order needles they tae size 206x13 and also order an instruction book for them, sometime you can get the little discs on e bay I did, Its a truly wonderful machine too bad it did not take off with singer I think it may have imtimidated some sewers, but it sews like a dream and the little piano like bars on top create such sonderful stitches..I just love mine. I got it at a garage sale for 25.00 including very nice cabinet and storage stool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
    Miriam, good job, I thought Billy's tut were good, but, this is even more clearier. Thank you for sharing. Thanks for keeping is simple and plain to understand. Good luck with it.
    Thank you for your kind words. This machine has an internal belt so it would not be a good idea to submerge - I'm doing everything I can to keep that belt from getting any thing on it. I will make another post when I get some more done on this machine. It will be difficult to get the zig zag parts to move freely - I cleaned a LOT of gunk off the externals - I'm kind of thinking heat may loosen the internals of the zig zag. I'm doing kind a no-no by not reading the manual. I should get busy on that. How ever, just getting it clean doesn't require much information. Getting it to move will be another story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelda2
    Hi, just thought I'd let you all know the little secret we use around here. We use GOOP hand cleaner to clean, oil and it leaves the machine very nice! To clean the heavy stuff, just slather on and let it sit for a bit. This also takes care of any rust. I use it on every machine and this is all I use.
    Goop is messy - I am working in a small area at a time. There are disks/cams in the top to protect and there is an internal belt. Some machines have plastic inside - be very careful using anything with a solvent - it doesn't take much to destroy one of those kind of fragile pieces. Most likely, they can not be replaced.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Are you sure thats's a 206 x 13 needle, Miriam? Your photo is a bit blurry, but it may not be. Lots of people stuck regular needles in these. Check your bobbin case. If it's all nicked up, chances are that's not the correct needle. Or at least it's really dull probably needs replacing anyway. I order mine online.
    I just found the needles!!! I'm doing the happy dance!
    http://shop.sew-classic.com/206x13-S...eedles_c46.htm

Blog Entries
    What a great job you are doing getting her ready to use again. She looks like she will be a wonderful addition to your sewing room. Love the cabinet, too.

What a job you have taken on... why are/were you attracted to this machine? I see lots wanting older machines and just wondering...
    judy

Looks like your doing a great job getting it ready to run again.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Glad you were able to clean and save this machine. I cleaned up my Mom's 403 that my heavy smoker sister had for many years. It is quite a job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda - K.
    Glad you were able to clean and save this machine. I cleaned up my Mom's 403 that my heavy smoker sister had for many years. It is quite a job.
    love the slant-0-matics!!! Smokers can be fun to clean up after - this one is tougher than that for some reason.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmajuki
    What a job you have taken on... why are/were you attracted to this machine? I see lots wanting older machines and just wondering...
    judy

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-133897-1.htm
    a post I made a while ago.

Blog Entries
    Love seeing your old machine become new again.
    You are a natural to this re-do stuff.
    Do let us see the when she "comes out" to make her debut?
    Any name yet?

Blog Entries
    His name is Mr. Ed short for (Educational or maybe Edsel)

Thank you for your kind words. This machine has an internal belt so it would not be a good idea to submerge - I'm doing everything I can to keep that belt from getting any thing on it. I will make another post when I get some more done on this machine. It will be difficult to get the zig zag parts to move freely - I cleaned a LOT of gunk off the externals - I'm kind of thinking heat may loosen the internals of the zig zag. I'm doing kind a no-no by not reading the manual. I should get busy on that. How ever, just getting it clean doesn't require much information. Getting it to move will be another story.
    Miriam, it won't zig zag unless you set the stitch width knob...you do know this, right? If it's set on straight stitching and zero width, then no matter if you use the levers, it won't do anything but a straight stitch...

Are you sure thats's a 206 x 13 needle, Miriam? Your photo is a bit blurry, but it may not be. Lots of people stuck regular needles in these. Check your bobbin case. If it's all nicked up, chances are that's not the correct needle. Or at least it's really dull probably needs replacing anyway. I order mine online.
    I just found the needles!!! I'm doing the happy dance!
    http://shop.sew-classic.com/206x13-S...eedles_c46.htm

There are other places carry them too. Not hard to find as some people will state.

Blog Entries
    Miriam, it won't zig zag unless you set the stitch width knob...you do know this, right? If it's set on straight stitching and zero width, then no matter if you use the levers, it won't do anything but a straight stitch...
    You know I didn't read the manual yet. I was afraid I'd get busy playing with him and not get his face washed. Now that he is clean and I have about a week before I can get back I should spend serious time reading that manual. I'm am just afraid it is so gunked up that it is stuck. I don't want to hurt the zig zag parts.

Is yours a male too? I think mine is - you know how they like to make things more complicated than they need to be...

WOW! Very nice!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast