Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Snake River Log Cabin >

Snake River Log Cabin

Snake River Log Cabin

Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 AM

God bless you for even trying this one.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:45 PM

Row number 3 and I am loving it more and more. I know it's a lot of sewing but if approached with the attitude that one is making an heirloom, one doesn't mind at all.

I am enjoying every minute of this quilt as I love the way it is showing. It has a certain overall glaze of sheer color that really doesn't show in this pic...it's amazing what happens with color....This is not a good pic. I will take a pic outside when it's done and then we will see the overall effect in the daylight.

When I look at it here in person, I see a pink glow and it's so pretty.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231226.jpe  
Old 07-24-2011, 03:53 PM

I can't wait to finish the 4th row because that will be the half mark. Even though I wasn't going for color at all in this quilt, it sure is making a color statement. The pink patches next to the red patches, seem to cast a pink glow over the rest of the blocks.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:04 PM

I love Judy Martin's books, I think she's so inventive. And I've been privileged to meet her at my LQS (well, she lives in Grinnell which is about 75 miles away from Des Moines) and seen a bunch of her quilts from the books.

We even thought we might be related at one point... but it turned out we aren't. I was looking for some reason to explain my "quiltiness" but I don't think it's genetics.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:25 PM

Whoppe! and Perry Mason, too! Surely do love your first block.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:08 PM

Let me share a sweet story with you all about Perry Mason and my unforgettable Granny. Many years ago, I sent for my Grandmother (she lived in Belize at the time) to come and live with me, (she didn't stay, of course, she missed her home, her cat and her dog. She had never seen tv before.

Every night at 9pm she would go in her room and put PM on. She never missed, she was in love. So being the humorous person that I am lol, I decided to mess with her mind.

I said, Granny, Perry Mason is off the air, the episodes are over with. She looked at me for a long while and then she said....you can't fool me, he is inside that box wrapped around a wheel. She thought it was a movie.

So being the very humorous bad person that I am, I said, let me show you that I am correct and it is over, lol. (God should have punished me for that) I opened the back of the tv and explained the tubes to her and how it comes over the air and how the stations cancel when they want to...she was sad.

I must be a very wicket person, anyway, do you think she trusted me? At 9 pm she came running out of her room shouting...you bloody Rosy, you lied, he is on hahahahahah and then ran back to her room so she wouldn't miss a minute...she was one happy Granny hahahahaha
Old 07-24-2011, 08:45 PM

I am still sewing it's 12.22 pm and I'm not tired. I thought I would share some my take-outs of quilting. In a quilt like this one, I don't cut all the strips or all the patches. I would find it overwhelming and loose interest if I were to look at a huge stack of patches that I had to sew up.

I realized my limits a long time ago. I had a few UFO's and I don't like that lol. I realized that it was so much better to cut a little and sew a little. In this quilt for instance, to give you an idea. I cut enough for four rows of 24 blocks more or less. I don't know at the time, that that is the amount that I cut.I just stop at a certain point when I feel the limit lol.

I always make between one to four blocks to see if I like the look or to get the feel for the quilt and I am so glad I do that. It is better to catch whatever you don't like right at the beginning.

I just have run out of red and rose bud patches, so I cut a bunch more. I still have plenty of darks and lights to make another couple rows. I have a medium red shirt of my hubby's that I am using in this quilt alone with other reds. I made sure to find the straight of grain when I cut the strips. You must cut your strips on the straight of grain for this quilt. I then cut 1/2 yard off the rosebud fabric and cut my strips on the straight for those patches too....

After I am familiar with the block construction, I start to speed piece. I only speed piece 6 blocks at a time, my limit. I can't bear to do more than six at a time. I find it very satisfying to finish six blocks, press and block them and put them on the board. When I see progress, I get more excited to go finish some more blocks. Six blocks finish a row in the middle of this quilt.

Now when I start doing the border blocks, I am sure I will either divide them up into six and two or do the whole row. It depends how I feel about it at the time.

Sometime it pays to know your limit, so you don't feel overwhelmed.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

Well I love your progress..which is happening very quickly I might add! The story of your Granny with PM..is so funny! That sounds like something my DH would do to his granny or DM...I can't keep a straight face long enough. No good at poker!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 AM

I am working on Row 4 and I thought I might just write this info as I go along.

When I am going to do a lot of sewing, I like to use my Brother Quilt Club 1300 or my old Singer. They both have speed. The plus on the brother is that it has a sissors, a 1/4 foot and 1/4 inch marking. It also is only for straight sewing with a one hole needle plate which is what you want to use for straight sewing, as the stitches are more perfect and no grabbing of the fabric into the feedog like a zig zag foot might do. I can start at the very beginning and not worry about the fabric being eaten.

I am writing this as I am sewing in case it might be useful for a beginner. I have used this brother machine a lot and it is falling apart lol. I need to replace the needle plate as the hinge is broken and I have it taped lol. The door that opens to change the bobbing is broken on one side, the little knob just fell off and the top of the thread holder got lost somehow. This machine is a mess but it's still sewing.....

When I am sewing the strips, I back tack at the beginning and at the end, it's quick on this machine and more secure for my patches. I back tack everything. When I come to the end of the stip, I back tack but don't come forward yet to finish it, instead I put the other strip next to it and as I finish sewing the forward of the previous backtack strip, the new strip is gettin pulled in and sewed.

When I cut the strips, I cut the longest one first, then the rest and so one. This way I have sizes of each strip to pick and choose from and there is very little waste. I cut from a set of four strips at one time.

Ok back to work, will post pic soon.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Row four and now I am at the half way point for the middle of the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231657.jpe