Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Snake River Log Cabin >

Snake River Log Cabin

Snake River Log Cabin

Old 07-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Power Poster

Looking fantastic Rosy....it's quite mesmerising isn't it?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Banned

IT is just gorgeous!

I love the way this is turning out! I am inspired! I have decided that when I have time ( hehe...could be a looooonnng time from now) I need to start cutting my scraps.....I need to cut them as I go...and I need to carve away at them slowly but surely so I can have strips cut and ready to go for projects like this. SO I can just pull out all my 1.5 inch dark strips and sew...then pull out my lights...and what not. I have so many scraps .....but by the time I sit down and sew I don't want to sort scraps...I just want to start a project.

Anyway I can't wait to see the final border....Blessings!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM

I just finished the top border blocks then I did the y strips and sewed the blocks together.

I will now work on the bottom border and then the four corners and then the sides.

It seems that six blocks are still my limit lol. I don't hurry. I just sew every day and no matter what time I get up or start, I will do the six block. I am getting a later start today but then, I did yesterday too, lol.

Blocks waiting for the Y strip
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235042[/ATTACH]

Border with the Y added
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235043[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235036.jpe   attachment-235037.jpe  
Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 PM

I didn't think I would get this much done today since I started too later today. Here is the top with corners and one side that still needs two blocks.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235199.jpe  
Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Oh goodness. I finished putting the four borders on today and started on the backing. I was determined to use up most of the fabric I pulled out lol. I started to make a large log cabin block for the back with 8.5 inch wide strips. I joined the strips with like fabric when I needed to and then just used whatever lol.

I finally got tired of all the sewing and finished up with a wide strip all around to finish the backing.

I will now sweep and wash the floor in the studio where the machine is and put the quilt up. I will probably start the quilting tomorrow. I don't know what kind of quilting I will do yet......

According to the book, I have used about 10 yards of fabric for the quilt and 7 1/4 for the backing, so that would make about 17 yards or so used up....it doesn't look like it tho lol.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 PM

Oh wow!
I love how this is coming together.
You have inspired me to get her book. The Log Cabin is one of my fav blocks. Who knew it was/is so versatile.
I will be following this one.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:39 PM

Love it--gonna be a beautiful quilt. Love the fairy too! I should add it is beautiful quilt--learned my lesson to look all the way through the "thread".
Old 08-05-2011, 05:47 AM

HURRY UP!!! Can hardly wait to see the finished quilt! Will you be hand quilting or machine? I have enjoyed watching your progress on this.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:12 PM

All done. I just finished binding it in a medium dark red. I love this quilt. I have done many quilts that were sewing intensive, including this one. I just love this one more than any other because, I suppose, I just love log cabins and this is one of the most beautiful ones I have ever done.

Many thanks to Judy Martin for designing this great quilt. I feel it's a great quilt, maybe it because it's named after this great river. I am sure Judy's inspiration came from it.

http://www.cocooceanresort.com/wp-co...ke-river-2.jpg

I can see lots of texture and that was my goal, there is a lot of movement in the quilt, like ripples in water, that this pic did not capture. I hope I can get it tomorrow in daylight outside. The whole quilt has a pink hue that is very obvious. Maybe it is the red next to the pink throughout the entire quilt that caused this effect.

I just took this pic inside, I will take a better one outside tomorrow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237143[/ATTACH]

close up of the corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237144[/ATTACH]

back of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237145[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-237137.jpe   attachment-237138.jpe   attachment-237139.jpe  
Old 08-05-2011, 05:31 PM

It is fabulous .... I love the big log cabin square for the backing!