Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Sneak peek ( Elle the new pic is on page 14) >

Sneak peek ( Elle the new pic is on page 14)

Sneak peek ( Elle the new pic is on page 14)

Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 AM

Thank you kindly, "Children',( :mrgreen:) for your sweet remarks!

You know, this board always is SO quick to offer help, encourage quilters & praise efforts of the very beginner to the most advanced.(I consider myself an advanced beginner maybe?) How nice all of you are ! A grand group! I consider myself fortunate to sit with you!

I am a prolific piecer (as you can see by Webshots) & a much slower hand quilter.

Yes, the CD for the Jane Stickle Quilt is indeed a stand alone program. Trust me, it is well worth the $$$ it costs to purchase it.

It also has the niftiest feature!!! You can scan (& then reduce, it tells you how) your own blocks. It has a 'design' outline of the Dear Jane Quilt. You can then place each of your blocks, as you do them, in the proper place that they go. It shows you exactly what your quilt will look like when finished, visible on your computer screen, as you do it!

The Feathered Stars is in a book called "Great American Quilts" by Liesure Arts. I am fortunate to own the entire set of those, which is ...mmm...maybe 15 or 20 books. They are still for sale on ebay, though I am not an ebay person.

Thank you Marcia, for your kind comments on the Celebrations of America That almost ate my lunch! Do not know why, it is simply needleturn applique! (It is folk art & I am not big on folk art to do myself)?
I really LOVE applique---does it show? ha ha

Thanks Ladies!

Riley
Old 07-26-2008, 11:31 AM

:shock: You consider yourself an Advanced Beginner? I think from seeing your work we could just leave off the Beginner and say you are an Advanced quilter!!! You quilts are awesome!!!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 03:13 PM

Thank you so much--I WISH! I truly am still learning! I learn on each quilt I make.

I have been blessed with belonging to some wonderful forums (like this) & them helping me in my quilting journey , should I need it.

I have begun to be "cheeky" (friends in Australia! :) )& call myself a quilter though. ha ha

Riley
Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 PM

Riley, thank you, thank you for all your valuable input. I love your avatar quilt by the way that is truly beautiful. Such expertise.

Will have a look in a minute at the info on the CD and also your webshots of your quilts.

May I ask do you needle turn your applique and if so do you use freezer paper or any other type of stabilizer.

Elle

Elle
Old 07-26-2008, 11:01 PM

Melissa, Thank you for taking all that trouble to find those sites for me. I got myself ready to go out and then came quickly back and lo and behold you had given me all that information. I had a quick peek and the fabric, well it was delicious. :lol: :lol:

Will have a serious look later and take the money out of the wallet. Oooops catch the moths :lol: :lol:

Think we will have to start another thread on this one, think I have opened up something that others could well be interested in.

Elle
Old 07-27-2008, 01:10 AM

Riley just looked at your webshots, my oh my what beautiful quilts. Think the American Life Quilt was just awesome. I loved them all.

Elle
Old 07-27-2008, 04:41 AM

The Jane Stickle Quilt is in Webshots, Loretta--it is in the album labeled "WIP --Needs Quilting". I have more that needs quilting than has been quilted, unfortunately.

I really, REALLY need some clones, anyone have spare ones to loan or sell? :mrgreen:

The Feathered Stars themselves were made from various FQ's--- surprise gifts from friends to celebrate my 75th birthday.( 1 1/2 years ago.)
I wanted to use a pattern to really showcase the fabrics, because they mean something very special to me.
There are a lot of C/W Repos in there. I also mixed other fabric lines (probably an unpardonable sin in the quilting world but I piece & quilt to please myself. ha ha)

Thank you all so much for your kind comments & pats on the back! You encourage me to keep threading those needles!

Edited:
Elle, I do NOT use a stabilizer nor freezer paper when I applique.
I print the pattern on cardstock usually if I am going to do only one (I contact cement the pattern to template plastic, then to fine grit sandpaper if doing a lot of the same thing) draw around it with a permanant thin line pen (I am confident I can cover the line) & use my needle to turn it under, abt an inch at a time.

Riley

Old 07-27-2008, 05:06 AM

Riley, How wonderful to be able to needle turn like that. You are a totally amazing lady and only 75 years young at that. :D

I am now going to peak at your Dear Jane Quilt.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

Elle :D
Old 07-27-2008, 05:09 AM

Riley its me again, I just peaked at Dear Jane. Double wow what stunning work.

Just for the record how long did that take? Sorry for all the questions but I am really interested on how long those works of art take.

Elle
Old 07-27-2008, 05:14 AM

Elle, ummmm, I was 75 a year & half ago. I am full speed ahead (full throttle? :mrgreen: )to 77 in Dec.

I almost did not see your question. To start out, I used a pen (always a fine tip!) that the marks could be removed.
Bohin has out a fabulous pen (they have 2 actually but one is a thick heavy line that you sharpen ---forget that nonsense!) that you can erase the marks?
I ordered mine here since I have no LQS. I've only used the white, BTW:
http://www.quiltknit.com/notions/marking_tools_2.htm

Edited: My typos are so slow that you have been, looked, & come back--- & I am still doing typos! :oops:

I am glad to answer your questions--- if I know the answers? The Jane Stickle Quilt is not finished since it is not quilted --- I am quilting it though. (I am also quilting another quilt , Sunbonnets)
I worked on it off & on , toss it aside & worked on something else, so I have no clear answer. I would guess that lumped together, it probably took maybe 6 to 8 months, in my spare time.
Once you get the first row done, it begins to fall in place as to how to do these little blocks.
Do remember that I hand piece primarily & that one is no exception. I have a disabled DH & if I piece on the machine, I run my legs off back & forth between him & the machine. I can sew like a speed demon by hand.

Riley