Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Snowflake block.....because I don't know the name! >

Snowflake block.....because I don't know the name!

Snowflake block.....because I don't know the name!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:53 PM

Love the block and the colors.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:03 PM

Not any easier piecing method. Hope you are doing multiple half squares at a time
Old 01-27-2016, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
The block is 12"....that's a lot of little squares! If anyone can suggest an easier method of construction, I am all ears!
What you have made is beautiful. I think you will find this block by the name of "Snow Crystals", from a quilt made in Oklahoma during the 1920s. I haven't the foggiest notion where I got the pages I tucked into the back of Srebro-Johnson's book.
You asked for an easier method. I have not made it, but Nancy Johnson-Srebro has a much easier way in her book "Stars by Magic", 2004. It doesn't deal with this setting, but does show streamlined construction of the eight point star, and in this case six point star. In her book she uses it as a flower. Perhaps your library or a local quilt guild has her book.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:21 AM

Thank you Gay and Just Jan...interesting to see those geese flying!
Arianna, great catch! Thank you!!! I won't take this block apart, but I will correct my pattern for the remainder! How in the world did you see that? Lol! I knew what I was looking for and it took me awhile!
Elian, thank you for the information! i am so happy to know this is an older block! I am off to locate the book you referenced! Big hugs to all!

Last edited by jillmc; 01-28-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Is that a pattern sheet with the colors on it? I see you said you drew it so I am guessing that the yellow sheet is that one. Please don't take offense (as I think the block is beautiful with the fabrics you've chosen) I just wondered if you are aware that the one hst is not the same as the other corners. Any block that has 64 pieces I just wouldn't want to make a mistake and find out too late!
It took me awhile but I finally found it. Bottom left HST should have been grayish, not blue? Is that the one? Great eye. Beautiful block and colors. Great piecing.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:52 AM

Make your HST like this. take a 2 10 in squares. Right sides together, sew the outside all the way around. Cut from corner to corner on both sides. you have four HST. Make your pinwheel first. Make more HST and arrange accordingly to the pattern. I think snowflake is a pretty name for the block. Pretty much everything is HST. Good luck, sweetie. Let me know if I can be more help. Skypony
Old 01-28-2016, 06:48 AM

Good eye! ...about the color placement error. I would do the whole block in HSTs, but not by sewing around the square, then X cutting....way too many bias edges to make it ruffly......use triangles on a roll or the computer program triangulation to make your own paper sheets.......will go much faster....done a few different designs that way and always precise.......or if you have the GO.......
Old 01-28-2016, 07:52 AM

Wow, I didn't notice the error in the block. There is also an error in your graphing in the top left hand side. I am anxious to make this block and obviously it's a tricky pattern but it sure is beautiful.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 AM

I am using the Creative Grids HST ruler....I don't mind making the hst's....it's just a bit tedious sewing together 64 little squares to make the block. I am working on the companion block, and I have used some creative piecing so there are fewer pieces. I will post it for all of your eyes to look at before I proceed! This will be a block-or-two-a-week quilt I am sure!

Yes, my-ty...there is an error on the design sheet-that's how I ended up with the error in the block. I have corrected it and reprinted it. Hope to see your blocks soon!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Looks like you got your drawing accurate. Easy thing is to make a lot of the HSTs at one time.