Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Squishy - Thimble & FQ >

Squishy - Thimble & FQ

Squishy - Thimble & FQ

Old 07-07-2009, 05:09 PM

I haven't been able to use thimbles either. I have tried--but when I wear one, I just hold that finger up and don't use it at all. Can be quite embarrassing if you know what I mean... :oops: What I use instead is a fabric bandage wrapped around my finger. The plastic bandages don't work as well--I think there must be more padding in the fabric ones. When the bandage gets too many holes in it and breaks down, I just put on a new one. Has saved my skin (literally...) lots of times! I just carry a box of BandAids with me in my sewing basket. Works like a charm!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

I have done that except for I use them when I am using the glue gun on small things, when I usually would end up gluing my finger, I glue the bandaid and save the finger, the fabric ones not the plastic ones.

I could use a thimble before I found this one, it just sort of works for me and Iam not sure why.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

I love that fabric. My youngest DD loves bubbles.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Overlander
The thimble is a very light metal made by Dritz - it can be adjusted by squeezing the sides to fit your finger. I have arthritis and my joints are big and lumpy so regular thimbles don't fit. I use leather ones that I make myself for English Paper Piecing but end up with holie fingers that look like I've been sticking myself with pins. :) I am hoping this little thimble will help.
Thanks for the information. I only learned to use a thimble 12 years ago. Up to that time, I had a nice hard pad on my finger from pushing pins down on lace pillows for 20 years. When I stopped (or nearly) making the lace, my finger softened up. I now have a lovely silver thimble, but it is slightly too large, so I have a little bit of blue tak inside, which gives me the necessary grip. I'm going to look this Dritz one up.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:05 AM

Very nice. I like.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:48 AM

Cool package and I'm glad someone asked what the thimble was made from I thought soft plastic stuff that my niece calls squishes. lol
Old 07-08-2009, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by nellebelles
I haven't been able to use thimbles either. I have tried--but when I wear one, I just hold that finger up and don't use it at all. Can be quite embarrassing if you know what I mean... :oops: What I use instead is a fabric bandage wrapped around my finger. The plastic bandages don't work as well--I think there must be more padding in the fabric ones. When the bandage gets too many holes in it and breaks down, I just put on a new one. Has saved my skin (literally...) lots of times! I just carry a box of BandAids with me in my sewing basket. Works like a charm!
Glad to see another "Bandaid-er" LOL That is about all I use as my finger is so small! All the reat fall off! And I like the fabric ones. I get about two boxes a month or so! They are in all the boxes I have for the quilts that I have started!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Banned

I love your fabric. My thimle is a cheap plastic one from the Dollar Store lol Hey it works :lol:
Old 07-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

love that material
I have never seen a thimble like that one. I use leather and wear them out so fast, and stick my finger with the back end of the needle all the time, will have to check them out
Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I have always had issues with the thimbles not fitting, this one is sort of one sided as well so especially if you have long nails, it sits behind it. not in it, with it being adjustable it will pretty much fit any finger, they do come in different sizes as well, I found it at Wal-Mart My mom even liked it when she was here, I don't do a lot of hand work so when I do I am kind of inept at it, and it still works for me.