Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
the start of Thinking Outside the Block... it's not quite the effect I was going for... >

the start of Thinking Outside the Block... it's not quite the effect I was going for...

the start of Thinking Outside the Block... it's not quite the effect I was going for...

Old 09-26-2010, 08:41 AM

I agree with BJ - see what happens when you add more squares; take a look and see how you like it. I didn't think jungle until you mentioned it. I really like the colors and that pattern shows the colors off nicely. Keep up posted on what you decide and thanks for sharing.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by MissQuilter
I am having trouble with these blocks, keeping them straight. I have made lots of regular log cabins with no problem, but on these quarter log cabin blocks, they keep getting a bit squiffy and I am not getting the consistent size I need. Any suggestions????

Thanks!
I sew with strips rather than cut pieces--that helps. Just do chain piecing, then when you cut them apart you can square up as you go. It helps a LOT!!

I found a red that will work at a LQS today!!! :-D
Old 09-26-2010, 11:02 AM

Look very good
Old 09-26-2010, 11:12 AM

Very, very pretty!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 AM

I love it. I'll never forget when I went back to Ohio one year after having moved away. And we drove down to Amish Country, and the colors in the trees were just so vibrant. I couldn't remember if I had just forgotten the colors were that bright or if it was an extremely beautiful year. I live in New Mexico, dessert now and there is a lot of brown. So I think these colors are wonderful.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 AM

I think it's beautiful, don't see jungle at all.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Pretty! Pretty! Pretty!
Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by MissQuilter
I am having trouble with these blocks, keeping them straight. I have made lots of regular log cabins with no problem, but on these quarter log cabin blocks, they keep getting a bit squiffy and I am not getting the consistent size I need. Any suggestions????

Thanks!

ok, i have no idea how it tells you to put it together..never seen or read the pattern.
BUT i did do the "star spin" and i made the whole large block, then cut it on the diagonal..in your case, you would cut it in half and half again?
i pressed with starch on this star spin pattern..
good luck! it is a beautiful pattern!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100980.jpe  
Old 09-26-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I wanted rich fall.... I feel like I got jungle or camouflage. :| :roll: It was rich fall to a point...then it took a turn. Maybe it was the dark red strip? Hmmm.

Maybe I've been working on it too long... I'll put it away and peek first thing tomorrow to see if I feel differently.

Thank goodness I didn't plan on making a whole quilt--just a table runner and a wall hanging, so only 42 blocks are started. Phew! I completed 10 tonight so I could see how I liked it.
How about when you put it together, you applique some beautiful, large, deep colored autumn leaves on it? If you cut out a leaf and cut out a black leaf with it, at the same time, and move the black a bit down and to the left, it will look like it is falling on the quilt. It is beautiful and a little hint of autumn will make everyone think autumn when they see it!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 PM

I really like it :-D