Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Super bright and colorful kids quilt (sunglasses warning!) >

Super bright and colorful kids quilt (sunglasses warning!)

Super bright and colorful kids quilt (sunglasses warning!)

Old 07-02-2018, 08:16 PM

I love this quilt! It makes me happy just to look at it. The colors are so bright and cheerful. I love your name for it and your decription. Isn't it funny how people react so differently to color and design? What one person describes as garish, another person describes as beautiful. Your quilt is beautiful and you did an outstanding job making it.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

Love your quilt!!
Old 07-03-2018, 02:33 AM

What a fabulous and fun quilt. I think you did a great job on your needle turn appliqué and construction of your quilt. Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:44 AM

The flowers look great! I love the whimsical shape...that does look like a cartoon splat. I am with the lucky 6yr old that gets to enjoy your quilt...I love bright colors also. Thank you for the tip about using dense batting when quilting with minky. (good to know) Fantastic idea to use the minky as the binding also. I like the name of the pattern for your quilt...flower power. This quilt is sure to be loved.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:50 AM

You could still label and name it, just name it "Technicolor" for the recipient.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:16 AM

A quilter with vision! I love your quilt!
Old 07-03-2018, 03:47 AM

That quilt is a great big smile! Beautiful and colorful. Good job.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 AM

Yes, it's bright, but I think it's awesome! The recipient is going to love it.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:28 AM

Wow! That is super cute. I really love it.
It brings a smile to your face

Janelle
Old 07-03-2018, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I also love it. Great colors. I think any child or teenager would love it! How did you applique it? Did you do the needle turn appliqué to each half and then piece the halves?
Not quite, the template for the flower applique was elongated in the middle to account for the seam allowance. So I appliqued a complete elongated flower to a full square that was cut 7/8" bigger than the finished block size, (I think I went a full inch and cut down once the two halves were sewn together). I made sure to place the flower so the elongated part was on point. I found it was easiest to fold my square in half on the diagonal and fold my flower in half then line up the fold marks to pin and applique down. I had to do two blocks for each flower, reversing color placement, for example yellow flower on orange background and orange flower on yellow background. Then I cut each completed applique in half on the diagonal and pieced the two contrasting halves together. I used elmers washable school glue to ensure the flower applique was lined up before stitching the two triangle halves together.

If you go to the link for the book I posted you can actually see a small diagram showing how the blocks are cut. They omitted the applique template on the "look inside" feature. It was actually quite fun making the flower blocks but once I got it all together is when I didn't love it so much.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. It appears a lot of you like bold bright colors in your quilts. I do too, actually, but I think I need them to be unified with a common background color. Like I love jewel tone fabrics on a black or dark solid background. I think that might be my issue with this quilt. I don't feel like the eye has anywhere to rest and there isn't really a unifying factor anywhere as far as color is concerned. It is a fun, happy quilt, just not my cup of tea.