Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Thrift Store Treasure Found! >

Thrift Store Treasure Found!

Thrift Store Treasure Found!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:17 AM

One of the first quilts I repaired was the Ocean Wave my daughter has that my Grandmother made. I removed the worn triangle and replaced it by whipstitching a new piece and then quilting the new piece. I have this quilts twin, my Grandmother often made 2 quilts alike. One for my sister and on for me. Mine has never been used and I need to sew down the binding.
We are not concerned with value, we want to be able to use and wash our quilts so that is why I repaired it the way I did.

A lot of triangles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175716[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-175709.jpe   attachment-175710.jpe  
Old 03-27-2011, 07:57 AM

I'm having fun trying to learn more about this beautiful piece. I'm not an expert and am just reading and following what seems to make sense (so correct me if I'm wrong).

-Batting appears to be hand carded cotton - it is not uniformly thick but varies it's thickness. In some cases it has lost it's batting underneath the quilt where the original stitching was lost and then the batting just slipped apart.

-stitching is about 5 stitches per inch.

-fabrics are very smooth and silky (not feedsack when I compare them to the feedsacks I have). I do agree with the other poster that said it was shirts, aprons, dresses remnants. The pinstriped fabrics are a little different than the rest.

-originally I thought the back was one piece but on closer inspection I can now see that it was pieced as well.

I love the idea that the quilt was a wedding gift! What a special, loving thing to do for a couple.

The Thrift store I bought it from is in a high end, bedroom community and there are a lot of quilters and collectors in the area. I'm almost sure that it was an estate donation by someone's children who didn't know any better. Well, at least they didn't toss it. And now it's in my collection and it will be loved and admired and shared with others as an amazing example of American Art.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:59 AM

it's gorgeous!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:03 AM

GORGEOUS! I love the amazing colors - soooo pretty. Thanks for sharing and posting pics! I can't get enough of these pictures!

Monetary value, collection value, functional value... all very important. I think that covering yourself with the lovingly handmade item from a cherished relative is the most value you can obtain from these wonderful pieces of functional art! I think most of us are making quilts with the idea that our homemade love will bring happiness to the receivers.

I also collect vintage and antique sewing machines and one of the first things I do is to sew something with them. They must work to stay in my collection. :-)

Originally Posted by Parrothead
One of the first quilts I repaired was the Ocean Wave my daughter has that my Grandmother made. I removed the worn triangle and replaced it by whipstitching a new piece and then quilting the new piece. I have this quilts twin, my Grandmother often made 2 quilts alike. One for my sister and on for me. Mine has never been used and I need to sew down the binding.
We are not concerned with value, we want to be able to use and wash our quilts so that is why I repaired it the way I did.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:04 AM

Love that!

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
Yes, too bad quilts don't talk. Well, this one talks to me. I believe it could have been a wedding gift quilt. Just look at the various pieces of cloth from dresses, aprons, shirts, etc and in the middle of all that the circle of love in a square. It is lovely. Looks like something my mother would have made.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

A pretty found treasure! :)
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM

I'm going to have to go find this pattern now!

Oh you bet it's on my list to try... after all of my other to do's and once I get better at piecing. All in good time. :-)

Maybe I'll collect antique clothing fabric from the 1890's and use them to make one, copying the one I have. That would certainly be a challenge...

Originally Posted by scrappylady
That is beautiful....That quilt design is my "dream quilt" to make...one of these days. I found one in my mother-in-laws closet after she died. It is not as pretty as yours and like yours we do not know the history of it. She did not quilt but collected "things" that were old and interesting.
Fabric Close ups
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175779[/ATTACH]

Fabric Close ups
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175783[/ATTACH]

Back Fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175784[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-175773.jpe   attachment-175777.jpe   attachment-175778.jpe  
Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 AM

Its beautiful! Lucky you!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 AM

Gorgeous! Be sure to have it appraised and find out if repairing it will lower the value...assuming you want to retain it's value! You really found a winner here!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 AM

WOW that is a beauty