Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
True love's knot >

True love's knot

True love's knot

Old 03-01-2008, 09:15 PM

Oh wow! That is great. I love those colors!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by blahel
beautiful quilt steve...i have been thinking about doing this for my son in black and white so on a scale of difficulty of 1 - 5 (5 being the hardest) where would you rate it for a beginner? Everyone is right your quilt is awesome so learn to accept compliments for your work as you will get lots more going by your quilting efforts so far! :thumbup:
I'd say just a ‘2’ if you've sewn before. I'm just learning to sew, as well as quilt, so there was a bit of wrestling going on due to the physical size of the block itself. It's simple strip piecing though, so you should have no problem.

I cut all the fabric up front, and one thing I would do differently is that I did one block initially to get my bearings and chain pieced the rest. That was a mistake; I think that if you do them all at once they will be more uniform. Also I'd suggest squaring each block, setting seams and pressing each step of the way. The hardest part was getting all four sewn together, since my first block was about a 1/16th inch larger. Another thing is that if you match them horizontally according to size it should fit together well in the center. Just measure first and match them.

You might double-check this against the Quilter’s cache first, but I think that this is correct and what I used with the two colors to get the four blocks:

Color 1 needs: Twenty-four 2 ½ " squares, four strips each 2-1/2" x 7”, 9”, 11", 17", 19", 23",
and eight each 2 ½ x 13", 22”

Color 2 needs: twenty 2 ½ " squares, 4 strips each 2-1/2" x 5", 9",
and eight each 2 ½ x 7", 11", 17”

If you get two yards of each you should have more than enough ‘if’ you cut carefully (cut larger pieces first!). You’ll need border material as well.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:59 PM

Nice job....well done looks GREAT....my grandson would love that quilt....do you have a certain pattern????
Old 03-02-2008, 05:05 PM

Another home run!!!! Very nicely done :):):)
Old 03-02-2008, 08:26 PM

Nice job, Steve! I'll even admit that the orange looks fabulous!
It's said that in the old days quilter would deliberately leave a mistake in their quilts because only God was perfect. Sounds like a rationalization to me, because I never have to deliberately leave a mistake in my quilts--there are plenty that occur naturally! Trust me, only YOU will see the mistakes--and if it's on you wall long enough, even you won't see them! Hope you've got a nice big spot to hang this beauty!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:43 PM

Thanks! Going to a good friend rather than the wall.

I actually went out and started collecting fabric for a blue version of this quilt for my niece. I'd really just love to do pink quilt for her since she is the only niece, but she's a tomboy into sports and the school colors are blue, white and silver. I picked out a very pale blue and a true blue so it should be a pretty quilt, though I’m unsure about the borders. Do they actually make silver fabric? Mom said it was mostly white that they used for the school uniforms, hardly using silver at all, so maybe I'll just stick to the white and blue and leave the metallic look alone.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:32 AM

The Mennonite shop I was last in had several shades of gray--I think a blue/gray theme wuold be stunning. It could pass for silver.

Steve--do you get the Fons and Porter quilting magazine? There's one in there this month I think you'd like. Maybe give it a glance if you have time--at a news stand?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 AM

Will do, if I can find a copy. I hadn't thought of a gray/silver, but it would be perfect. Thanks for the excellent suggestion Karla!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 PM

Great job..............looks great.....that is one my grandson would love....would you share the pattern????? Thos eare very close to the colors I already have picked for him.....This site is all new to me...having a hard time understanding how and where to get my replys....please bear with me....
Old 03-06-2008, 11:02 PM

I took my recipe from this:

http://quilterscache.com/I/InterlacedBlocksBlock.html