Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Unfinished 70 year old quilt top >

Unfinished 70 year old quilt top

Unfinished 70 year old quilt top

Old 01-09-2011, 04:27 PM

I would agree with the cotton batting. If you don't want it to shrink after you're done, follow the pre-washing instructions.

The back... I'm thinking I would look for a 30's repro or feed sack type of fabric (light/pale in color so it doesn't show through). But the muslin is a good choice, too.

It is a wonderful treasure! Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM

*Do not wash your quilt top. Its seams are too fragile to sustain the pulling they would suffer, especially while wet. *If it is dusty, gently use a vacuum cleaner hand tool with the end covered with a piece of muslin or a white handkerchief.
*If the outer border has not been hemmed, then you could stay-stitch it (within 1/4 inch of the edge) by machine, to strengthen it, and prevent stretching and pulling.
*Examine all the seams. If any are pulling loose, then carefully re-stitch them by hand.
* Are any parts wearing through? (possibly rayon) then you could applique a reproduction-print piece over the orginal without interfering with the stitching. This works as an invisible repair job.
You have a treasure, which will be even better when it is completed, and can be shown proudly.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:44 PM

I would use cotton thread to quilt it and a warm and natural, legacy has a great batting , There is lots of blue in the top, maybe look for some blue reproduction fabric.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM

Lovely, I have washed in cold water on delicate cycle then line dried several old quilt tops. First I do all the mending and stablize the top so that nothing frays.
One of the fun things at garage sales, auctions and flea markets is finding old quilt tops that need saving. Also find a stash of old quilt blocks now and then and do the same thing, just put them in a mesh laundry bag before washing. Good Luck!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:08 PM

I inherited two quilt tops myself and used a regular cotton batting from the fabric store. Found a backer fabric that worked: a solid gold with a small calico-like pattern, barely visible.
It was hard to match the purple in the second one but I managed to find something compatible for borders.
The backer is an intense purple calico with shades of other purples that I think worked great...

And because the tops were old I quilted out the wazoo. by hand. In spite of that, there were tears before I finished but only a couple.
These were both from 1935.

My apologies to the professionals who probably think I did not do them justice, but we intend to use them until in shreds...

Also, I saw the Gees Bend Quilts and have a different opinion of what quilting is. Different from my old views that is.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM

Beautiful quilt top. I love vintage finds.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Beautiful top, good luck with whatever you do
Old 01-09-2011, 05:48 PM

i would not wash it yet, and use a mulin backing to match the front background, it is beautiful quilt
Old 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Speaking from experience, as I have finished 7 old tops, I have found muslin on the back works great, as that is something they would have had at the time. I also use cotton batting, hobbs or quilter's dream. I will use a waxed off white quilters thread - or I have used a green shiny poly embroidery thread for my most recent finish on a grandmother's flower garden for some extra sass. I alway wash when I finished and dry it for the old fashioned shrink. The results will be worth the effort. I promise.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:02 PM

Don't put a border on. Can't answer about the washing. Others know better than I. Beautiful legacy!