Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What is the name of the block used for the pink quilt on the far right? >

What is the name of the block used for the pink quilt on the far right?

What is the name of the block used for the pink quilt on the far right?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 AM

that is the right name. Triple Star
Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Banned

I have just finished posting a tutorial for my Candlequilter Star block.

I have looked at hundreds of block pictures and none of the ones that I have seen online or in books are exactly like the one in the quilt picture. The Triple Star, the Dahlia Star, the Kansas Sunflower Star, the Star Flower are all just a little different than the original block on the vintage quilt. This is exactly like that vintage quilt block.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Carrie
That pattern is shown as Kansas Sunflower on page 194 in "Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns" published by Leisure Arts. Directions and templates are included. Maybe your local library has the book. It is also known as Star Flower in an Aunt Martha's booklet "Bold and Beautiful Quilts" which is out of print. Hope this helps.
Do you happen to have a picture of either of these? Because when I pull this up online the blocks don't look the same. So if you have a picture of either of those I would really appreciate seeing it. The ones that I have found on numerous sites under those names don't look same as the one in the vintage quilt.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Very pretty Star pattern, I hope someone is able to find out what it is called. Thank You
Old 04-25-2011, 05:06 PM

I love this quilt and you did a great job of recreating the star. I have never made this style of star quilt (or any star quilt)and am wondering what the traditional way of making it would be. Applique?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Anna.425
I love this quilt and you did a great job of recreating the star. I have never made this style of star quilt (or any star quilt)and am wondering what the traditional way of making it would be. Applique?
There are several ways that star blocks can be made. Many are pieced, paper pieced, as well as appliqued. Because of the way the points are offset in this one makes it a little more difficult to be a regular pieced block, but I am in the process of make a paper pieced instructions for it.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM

The New England Quilt Museum (Lowell, MA) has a lending library and encourage calls, etc. as well. They might be interested in researching this block and may come up with some historical info on it other than or to affirm what's already been shown. It's a great, but little known resource. All contact info, etc. is shown at:

http://www.nequiltmuseum.org/museum/...resources.html

~Jo
Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by karenm36
Danjfalke just posted some beautiful pics of antique quilts. There is one that is just so lovely I'd love to try to make the blocks in it myself someday. Can anyone tell me the name of the block or pattern? Thanks! Karen
Did you go look at the quiltercache!? It sure looks like it! i printed out the psge an to me it is what the pic is showing without the center... and it is appliqued....just saying.... :?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pbreon
Originally Posted by karenm36
Danjfalke just posted some beautiful pics of antique quilts. There is one that is just so lovely I'd love to try to make the blocks in it myself someday. Can anyone tell me the name of the block or pattern? Thanks! Karen
Did you go look at the quiltercache!? It sure looks like it! i printed out the psge an to me it is what the pic is showing without the center... and it is appliqued....just saying.... :?
Yes I looked at each and every star block on the quiltercache and many other websites. It looks like many of the ones that have one or two stars on them but not all three stars together like this one. Thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 PM

I would love the directions too. Paper piecing would be the way to go.