Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did I spend $1.00 on this?

Bonnie Hunter just bought one that had stars and not a one had a matched center and she was thrilled with it.

It was a bargain..
    Plus you made me smile.
    It's something I would do...

I think it has much character and you are fortunate to have gotten such a deal ! Looks like you will have no trouble getting rid of it . I too would buy it from you !

Some one put lots of hand work into this quilt . I am happy she can't read this thread
    Last edited by raedar63; 06-21-2012 at 03:59 AM.

bjr
    I agree with laffygiraffe - I would unsew the blocks and use a different fabric for sashing and borders...think you would be surprised at how much better they would look.

I agree with WTx red.............make a toy out of it. No one will ever know what you started with just what you ended up with

I would consider it a challenge to re-do some of it. Something to do during TV time.
    Or, fix something up for those little 4 legged orphans and the rescue! They would love it.
    I know everything I WANT to know!

Someone worked very hard using what they had........I think it's a treasure! Finish it just as it is and it will be beautiful
    Grama Laura

Finish it off and donate it. There will be someone who will think it is beautiful and that it was made just for them...a local mission, Hospice etc. No round files in my house.

The stars appear to be hand sewn if you look closely at the stitches, that is not an easy task with that kind of star. I have several of those type quilts and appreciate the effort it took to make that by hand, even though it is not the prettiest you may have, it may be the one with the most history telling a story of what it was like to make quilts by hand and not having all the necessary tools, but doing the best you can with what you have...I would also be willing to buy it from you and either try to make something from it or take it apart and remake it best I could. I think you have a treasure from times past, like an old antique that's seen it's better days that only some can really appreciate. If only it could talk....
    Life is like a coin; you can spend it anyway you want, but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful group of Lemoyne scrappy stars. Take them apart and
    resash them with a wonderful fabric and then add a couple of borders .
    What a joy to find that....
    I 'm going to strip scraps and make those blocks. Thanks for sharing.
    Nothing ever takes as long as you think it does....except quilting..
    Sewbeeit......

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I believe every quilt has value. Even the ugly or wonky ones. Because someone, at sometime, put time, energy and love into it. Every quilt tells a story. If you have the time (and patience) to take apart and redo what needs to be redone that would be wonderful. If not, perhaps you know someone that does. It appears from one picture that the stars were hand pieced and possibly at a later time someone else sewed them together by machine. I think you would get a great deal of satisfaction if you were to finish it. But, please don't round file it.
    I agree! I would take the sashing off and put new sashing and border. Think it would turn out great! IMHO

great fabric history
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I would make some throw pillows out of it, or maybe a beach throw.

That is an absolute treasure! If you don't want it, I would happily take it off your hands. Send me a PM.
    Judy in NYC

You could take it apart and frame each block and give to quilter friends as a gift for their quilt space. A little piece of history and inspiration.
    I've also seen some lovely primitive christmas ornaments from old star blocks.
    “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
    Maria Robinson

I would be glad to get this quilt from you .
    Have a nice day and a safe one too!

Well they tried!

Just finish it up and donate it. Someone who has nothing will love it. They won't care about points not matching.

Use it as an example of what not to do....LOL!!! Love it....you made me chuckle...see it did do some good!
    Claudia

I was given an old quilt once, I donated it to a private school for their fundraising auction and it brought in $275!! Or you could donate it to a guild who will finish it and donate it to a charity.
    If it were mine, I might replace the border with a single fabric. I think it is adorable, and possibly someone's first attempt at the star pattern
    Quilts and cats just go together!

Blog Entries
    I would have bought it because it is DELIGHTFUL!
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I believe every quilt has value. Even the ugly or wonky ones. Because someone, at sometime, put time, energy and love into it. Every quilt tells a story. If you have the time (and patience) to take apart and redo what needs to be redone that would be wonderful. If not, perhaps you know someone that does. It appears from one picture that the stars were hand pieced and possibly at a later time someone else sewed them together by machine. I think you would get a great deal of satisfaction if you were to finish it. But, please don't round file it.
    I totally agree...don't destroy someone's heartfelt work

go to Bonnie Hunter's blog quiltville.com and look at the one she just bought in an antique shop it looks very similiar. and I am sure she paid much more than a dollar... it is wonderful. sometimes I think we get too hung up and everything has to match. I have a couple tops from great Aunt that are similiar I love to look at them.

If you would send it to me I would quilt it and use it. I'd pay for it and postage too, as others here had mentioned. I say let someone have the opportunity to see it to its destiny of being a quilt used as a quilt.

Don't throw it away, give it a good pressing and put it in the "antique pile". Since it is all hand stitched, I would have to say that it is pretty old. I love it and would be glad to send you $5.00 for it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast