Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did I spend $1.00 on this?

kso
    Quote Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
    Cut it up and make a beloved teddy bear, rabbit, etc for a child or not-for-profit.
    Excellent idea!
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890

It has a lot of character ............ and I bet with a "little help & imagination", you can make into a treasure

Because it needs some love?!!!!
    Life can't get much better!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Finish it up and use it for a picnic, donate it, let the kids use it........

Look at it like this, I think it has it's own character! It's a one of a kind & bet ya won't find another like it!! I like it, I have a few of those myself, like you I bought them at odd and ends sales. Keep it and give it life!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

I was reading more of these posts...the stories makes a person want to cry!! Poor little quilty!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

No doubt about it.....whoever pieced it enjoyed every minute of it.

Get some cute buttons & sew in the centers of stars. You can make a silk purse out of a sows ear. It sure is a scrapy one though.
    Live everyday so that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says oh crap she's up.

I'd pick it out back to the white star blocks. The sashing looks kind of crappy and more recent than the blocks, which tells you the blocks sat around for probably someone's lifetime and someone else decided to finish the top. You can put the inner blocks back together and don't worry that their points don't match...all part of the charm! That yellow looks like it's going to ravel out pretty quickly and be problematic, so if you don't want to change it you should reinforce it somehow, or quilt really well along it's seam lines. The basic blocks are charming, it's just sashed and assembled badly. You definitely got your dollar's worth!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wouldn't take it apart. If you were going to do anything, I'd add another border around the outside--maybe a 6" yellow and finish it off. Someone will use it.

Taking it all apart and redoing the sashing, etc? Not this lady.

It is a lot of work that you could be doing something you want to do--not just a rescue. Besides the uniqueness of it is what makes it so special. If you make it "really nice", then it won't be a story.

Besides, when it is really cold outside, it might just get "stacked" on a bed trying to keep someone warm and it is not important how beautiful it is then.

I love it just the way it is... All the different fabrics are amazing.

Keep the dollar. I'll take it and pay postage.
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sew N Tune View Post
    I loved it. It's wacky and oh, so colorful. It'd be great quilted and out on the porch for the summer. Oh, what possibilities.

I agree plus it has CHARACTER!
    Working on Barkertown Jane

I agree with finishing it and giving it to a charity.

You absolutely should think of the hours of work somebody put in because they loved what they were doing. I think it is pretty and I would put it all together & FMQ to use as a picnic blanket, or (I keep one in my car trunk in case of emergencies), there all kinds of uses for this 'labor of love'. You got a bargain and no way should you trash it.

Dpo
    Every quilt has a beautiful story. Think of the time and love someone put into your $1.00 special that didn't get finished or delivered. What a treasure.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Because you recognized that someone put her heart and soul into it, and it deserves to be loved by someone. Finish her up, and give her to a child who won't notice the mismatched points. children know how to love without judging, and every quilt deserves that.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
    1. Every kind of fabric under the sun,
    2. no 2 blocks are square
    3. no points meet
    4. no seams match
    5. stitches by hand and machine, no rhyme or reason.
    6. no overall design

I don't even know why I bought it and now i don't know what to do with it. Maybe the round file?
    Any suggestions?
    Attachment 343418 Attachment 343420 Attachment 343421 Attachment 343422 Attachment 343423
    because you thought you liked it and it was cheap.Have it quilted and if you still don't like it,give it to charity.Some will appreciate it and keep them warm.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Blog Entries
    I would find the sashing a little bit of a challenge to get over. LOL

Blog Entries
    You paid $1 to "save" it probably because you recognize the work that went into it and felt sorry for it. In the past I have bought things that I wanted to "save"--such as a partially sewn quilt top with polyester, rayon, flannel, and a mish-mash of fabrics of every kind and color. The bag sat in my sewing room for a couple of years until I realized it was so ugly and horrible that there was no part of it I could really "save." So I set it free to live in our landfill!! LOL. Lesson learned!
    Wrinkles are just antique smiles!

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    Look at it this way: Families are like Quilts: Lives pieced together - Stitched with smiles and tears, colored with memories and bound by love.
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

that is what I did with my grandmothers quilt, teddy bear for my dad... it was a treasure to him. Grandma was NOT a quilter but I made him something he treasured. Or frame a piece of it to remind yourself how really good you are...lol quilter 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
    Cut it up and make a beloved teddy bear, rabbit, etc for a child or not-for-profit.

I would go back over those yellow hand sewn squares. One washing & they will pull out. The fabric looks kinda ravely.
    Live everyday so that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says oh crap she's up.

Quilts are like people. None are perfect. Some have flaws more obvious than others. All are worthy of love.

Maybe if you took the sashing off and give each block a white border. You could square them up from there. Don't forget plenty of quiting to hold those narrow seams. It looks like some of the quilts My Grandma made. Love them all.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast