Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Why did I spend $1.00 on this?

I love the naive nature of that work as well as the vintage fabrics. You might be able to spot a date on those bits of newspaper. The only bits that really offend my eye are those sashings. I think it might be kind of fun to cut it into blocks and frame a group of them as decoration in a sewing room. The only thing about having something like that in your stash is unless you label it carefully about when and where you got it, your heirs might someday come across it and think you made it when you about 7 years old.

It is FOLK ART!! If it came from Gee's Bend the museums would be fighting over it!

Seriously, I would make pillows out of the nicer stars.

Well worth $1.00 or more.

Nostalgia??? You could save the blocks, resash, and get the quilt you would like out of it. If not, I'd sell it to one of the QB members who offered to take it off your hands.

Blog Entries
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... I would call this one "primitive"... and I love it's style.

I'm with Stacy. Redo the borders and sashing. Perhaps misting and pressing will square the blocks. It is a unique quilt and you can make more so.

Think changing the border is a wonderful idea -- then square it up and quilt it -- practice some new quilting on this piece -- then donate to the hospital, hospice, or any other charity where someone will USE it -- a dollar, plus a little more and your effort ends up not lost forever....you are a rescuer!

Blog Entries
    I've done the same thing, usually regret it at first but later find someone who is thrilled to get it, mistakes and all. They find enjoyment in redoing the quilt and I don't feel so dumb for buying it in the first place. Win-Win solution.
    DeAnne

Blog Entries
    I will give you $2 and S&H - cw
    http://ozarkcastle.blogspot.com/

It was calling your name! Think of how much work that was put into this by someone. It makes you wonder if it was made by someone really old, really young, handicapped, a new quilter. Each quilt has a story and this quilt could probably tell us a doozy!

Blog Entries
    I got one too-glad there is a solution thanks to all you ladies-I'm taking mine apart and redoing it too-I've had it 10 years now and never figured what to do with it either-your's looks a lot like mine-maybe they were done by the same person-I got mine at a yard sale in Minnesota.

Blog Entries
    There is definately a message here.

Don't drink while quilting.
    Aussie Carol

I would have paid a dollar for it. You have already got more than a dollar out of it by sharing with all of us!

Blog Entries
    You will be glad to hear, I have taken it apart, the fabric is really strong, not dry rotted. I squared up the blocks and now I will resash them and put them together and border it. will post pics later.
    Just passing through!

That's a "cutter quilt" Cut it up and make small items from it. I have a picture where they framed an old piece of a quilt, but cut the mat out in the shape of a teapot. I purchased it a high end boutique in CA some years back. I have also used cutter quilts to make greeting cards...just cut out hearts, flowers, etc, and buttonhole stitch them to the cardstock. (I even used my machine to do this) And of course, there is always potholders!
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

See nothing wrong with it for a dollar. wish I could find some bargains like that. I could take them apart and make more charity quilts.

Perhaps this was a beginners quilt.
    I would use it on my dinning room table & place a clear plastic cover over it so it doesn't get stained.
    $$$ 1.00 a STEAL !!!!
    lp

Quote Originally Posted by sassy granny View Post
    I see what you mean but by no means do away with it. I bet some homeless person would see a lot of beauty and warmth in it. If nothing else , make a backing out of old flannel shirts or something warm and tie it, then give it to the homelss shelter. I'm sure someone will love and use it.

sassy granny
    Actually, some groups that help the homeless ask for deliberately ugly quilts, because if they are nice they would be sold for drugs, but if just warm and ugly, they will be kept for comfort. Hard to accept, but true I guess.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Your quilt has sure stirred up a great deal of responses. I think there are a lot of good ideas that you got. I, too, like the quilt. A quilt doesn't have to have beauty to be perfect. I think sometimes quilts like this tells more of a story than some of the really beautiful ones. I would treasure it if I were you, or sell it to someone who would treasure it.

I agree with everyone else. If you don't want to do anything with it just pass it on to one of the ladies that offered to take it. Someone probably did their best on the stars, maybe someone in their 90's and it was their last quilt.
    Who knows, bound to have a story behind it!
    Live and let live!

Thank you so much for this comment. I was recently at a guild meeting that featured "ugly" quilts. Most of them were tops people had received from relatives and I really did not think any of them were "ugly." Being at that meeting certainly made me think about how my quilts will be perceived after I am gone. I am tempted to burn them now so they will not be subjected to an unkind critique. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
    I believe every quilt has value. Even the ugly or wonky ones. Because someone, at sometime, put time, energy and love into it. Every quilt tells a story. If you have the time (and patience) to take apart and redo what needs to be redone that would be wonderful. If not, perhaps you know someone that does. It appears from one picture that the stars were hand pieced and possibly at a later time someone else sewed them together by machine. I think you would get a great deal of satisfaction if you were to finish it. But, please don't round file it.

DO NOT toss it. You can re-do it as has been suggested, or repurpose it into mug rugs or place mats. Or, leave it just as it is and enjoy the love and effort somebody before you put into it. Thanks for sharing.
    The bad news is - time flies.
    The good news is - you're the pilot!

It looks very old and I think it is very pretty. I would finish it as best I could and keep it and appreciate it for the beauty it currently has. I love it.

It's a CHALLENGE quilt! It will be a challenge to get it together in any kind of decent shape. And, I might add, it won't quilt out! Good luck!

Blog Entries
    That's a cheap quilting practice piece. No need to be concerned for someone else's opinion and you can try out lots of designs. Finish it and give it to a charity or your favorite puppy for cuddling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
    You will be glad to hear, I have taken it apart, the fabric is really strong, not dry rotted. I squared up the blocks and now I will resash them and put them together and border it. will post pics later.
    Awesome! Can't wait to see It finished!!
    "Seeking God's guidance is the key to success... even in daily living when we learn to LISTEN!"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast