Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did I spend $1.00 on this?

it's an antique! I think it beautiful funky, maybe a child made it, I would take the squares apart and resash it, it is bright and cheery and cheap!

I would use it for a beach blanket or a picnic table cover. I think it is a wonderful bargin for only a buck and it is just plain interesting to look at. Keep it and use it.

Blog Entries
    Got to tell you, I wouldn't add more time to try to improve it. I would probably give it to my husband for his garage

Blog Entries
    Make it a picnic quilt? or one for the grandkids to play on in the shade...
    $1.00 is a steal!!!!!! Enjoy

Blog Entries
    I had the same thought....perhaps a child's first quilt project. No quilt is made without love and I think there are so many creative suggestions on this site that you will end up with a quilt that will continue to be cherished and given a new home.....You did the right thing......Bea

I bought a quilt top at a yard sale for $2 several years ago. It is all 2 inch squares and hand stitched. It probably was made in the 30's according to my guild buddies. I plan on finishing it and giving it to one of my grands..
    Right now I look at it and wonder how many hours went into cutting and piecing those tiny squares and as I do when I quilt what was the person thinking about as she stitched away.
    It is a piece of history no matter how well it was made. The women who went before us had many more trials and tribulations than we, trying to raise a family and bring comfort in sometimes the harshest of living conditions.
    I treasure the old quilt I paid $2 for and will respect it as I would hope someone would of my humble attempts!

Blog Entries
    I would not change it mainly because when I was a little girl my Gramma had me learn to hand stitch before 'machining'-(her word,not mine) and as the project grew we could see how my hand sewing had improved and the same project was also machined to help me learn to get seams matched etc.So no I wouldn't change it or round file it.I lost that project full of memories of my Gramma in a house fire years ago,and still miss seeing it proudly displayed on the back of the couch

What's most awful about it is the sashing and borders. I'd take it apart and toss those....and then you have a stack of blocks. I personally love this top. If you want to sell it let me know how much.
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

If you go on picnics or if you have a dog bed that needs a new cover? You can make pillows? I couldn't throw it away.

believe it or not, I have seen worse. Someone tried.... probably had no direction or support. Play with it, finish it off (knot it) and give to someone in need. It's all good

I think we quilters just can't pass up what appears to be a good deal. LOL.

It would make a great pet blanket - my cat never complains about mis-matched seams!

it was made lovingly so enjoy it... hope you can make it where you like it... smile

Blog Entries
    How funny that I would see this post today - I was given 25, yes 25, of those very stars yesterday and was wondering the same thing - I would love to take yours off your hand to add to mine. I think I am going to find out a little more about how old they are - going to the Latimer Quilt Museum in Tillamook, Oregon on the way to the beach house on Sunday. After that, I think I am going to purchase some material and applique them down to squares to make blocks, then into a quilt to hang in my entry way at home. Please private message me if you decide to part with them, I would love to have them.

Blog Entries
    it may have been someone's first try at a string pieced star. A newbie to quilting? Someone who's finances and resources were restricted but still needed to feel crafty. Maybe something happened to her --sickness/death/increased finances/lost her ambition or interest---so never finished it. Main thing is she tried and frankly i find it more interesting than Gee Bend quilts. Find a good used flat sheet at a thrift shop and an old flannel sheet if you want to keep cost down but certainly quilt it. Donate it to a good cause--whether a poor doggie's bed --a homeless man's comforter--or some kid's play tent--let it complete its life cycle.

I think it is just terrific and thank you for sharing, if you do not want it sell it to Mary Mo, I am sure she would make it a treasure.
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Blog Entries
    I would love to have it.

J J
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
    Bonnie Hunter just bought one that had stars and not a one had a matched center and she was thrilled with it.
    Bonnie Hunter was the first person I thought of when I saw this too. Maybe you could send it to her. She loves old quilts and is the queen of scrappy.

Blog Entries
    I love it. I would back it with some crazy fabric, sandwich it and quilt it on the machine to keep handy for naps.

Get a cheap flannel blanket for backing sew it up like a pillowcase, no binding tack it with yarn and give it to someone who is cold or to a pet for his own blanket for a cover when you are painting, in the trunk so you can take it out and use it for traction if you get stuck as a demo for what not to do when you make a quilt, as a show n tell and act like you did it and are proud of it to see how your friends or guild will say, for a place to put muddy shoes and boots on in bad weather. fold it up and use it as a knee pad when working in the yard, use it to cover plants when it is going to frost. I can keep going just let me know if I have not at least got your attention. AND EVERYTIME YOU SEE IT YOU WILL SMILE AND SAY WHY DID I EVER BUY THAT THING. Oh yes wrap it up and give it to another quilter at Christmas and act serious as you see their face. wrap up it everyyear and give it to someone else. I have to stop

I had a girlfriend throw away 2 quilts like this from her grandmother.......I talked her out of them. For me they make perfect Picnic Table covers. That was nearly 20 years ago, and I still use them.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

Perhaps whomever made it that was all they had to work with. I would find a way to save it.

I think the quilt is very special. I wouldn't rush to do anything with it. Let it tell its story to you. If you can't love it send it off to someone who can. In its own special way it is a wonderful work of art!

OOhh poor thing.Just love it will be okay

When I had gotten blocks like this (didn't match, seams were uneven, blocks were different sizes) I made them into animal quilts for the local shelter. The lady running the shelter loved them and the animals didn't know they weren't what I'd normally do. Now I look for these so I can make her more quilts. She gives them when someone adopts an animal. That's bettere then the round file any day.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast