Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Wish I liked this more

I'm making this for my son's college graduation - he is a composer. I used a turning twenty because I wanted to show off a lot of music fabrics and then added the composers. One of the composers is my son (used a photo copy fabric with his sillhouette and photshopped it to match the other composers with their wigs. Too late to start something new. I think a black border will help... Any other ideas - it's so patchwork mishmosh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oh no your wrong this is very cool and perfect for a man. The colors the patchy look are great. Black is a nice outline to pop those pieces ie pianos etc. He will love this. I love it and I am not into music much at all. I think when you stand back, squint and see colors vs pictures (we all get way in there close when we are the ones doing the quilts) and you will see it melts together perfectly. Lovely quilt truly.

I think it looks great I agree, a black border will make it pop!!!

yes it looks very masculine, it'll grow on you especially after he just loves it. I just loves it already.

my oldest son loves music,he said this would be perfect!!

I wish you liked it more, too, because I think it is really a fantastic quilt. It is unusual, which makes it better, and the colors of black, gold and red with the composers sets each other off beautifully. I think a gold one inch border then a 3 to 4 inch border black border around that would be nice with a black or gold binding would be nice. Or maybe a red 1 inch border with a black 3 to 4 inch would be nice, too, depending on how much fabric you have left to do them. Whatever, you are probably just tired of looking at this quilt and don't see how really pretty it is now. I get like that when I work on something for a few days then set it back and the next time I look at it, it looks better. It will give it a completely new life when it is completely quilted, too. Also, if it is for someone so special I over judge and worry that it is not pretty enough and want to make something else better. But, this is already great, so don't put yourself down. It looks elegant and top quality, and I am sure he will love it and be proud of it.

Blog Entries
    Are you kidding me??? That is absolutely gorgeous. Your son will LOVE it. A black border gets my vote!!!

It's wonderful! You did a great job. What if you did a thin black border, then a wide piano key border in black and gold?

Blog Entries
    Your son will love it. It is a perfect music/masculine quilt. I think is is wonderful. Another vote for a black border.

The black will Pop the black in the quilt, plus once all the blocks are sewn together & quilted, you'll have a masterpiece of art indeed. He will forever love it & his Mom. Great quilt.

Blog Entries
    It's awesome! But if you're not happy with it, how about some thin black sashing between the blocks?

A black border will look great. The quilt is awesome I love the color combination. Maybe you have just looked at too long. It's a wonderful quilt for a man.

Not just saying that to be nice. :-) It really is a great quilt.

Ditto here...black border then fabulous!!!

Very nice. And being a man, I like it. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I think you're nuts! This is a great quilt. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I think this a super quilt and so unique. The colors are great and I think a black binding is a good idea. I did a turning twenty in black and white with a touch of red for my son a couple of years ago. It was great. Since he works for a Japanese company and goes back and forth over there, the touch of red fabric had japanese lettering he thought that was cool. I know yours will think this is cool too.

Wow - thanks so much everyone for all the supportive feedback! I have been looking at it too long. I'm going to take your advice and do the black border - will play with the smaller gold inner border idea too. Thanks so very much - I don't feel as discouraged after all your kind words.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FabricAddict
    Wow - thanks so much everyone for all the supportive feedback! I have been looking at it too long. I'm going to take your advice and do the black border - will play with the smaller gold inner border idea too. Thanks so very much - I don't feel as discouraged after all your kind words.
    These are not kind words--they are true words! And I like the black border and the smaller gold inner border.

Stunning! And so sweet of you to add your son's silhouette!

You must be a very loving momma!

Very nice. It seems like a perfect fit for your son. I like the idea of having your son's picture in with the other composers. Very ingenious.

I think its awesome! A thin red border and a larger black border would look good. You have a lot of neutral tones throughout the fabrics. You could really pick up the reds in it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh I think it looks fabulous!! The colors all look splendid together!! Let your right brain love it!!! :-D

I wonder how it would look with a narrow black border, then your favorite fabric next, and add a wider black border last? That's a lot of borders though. I think it'll look terrific with any combination.

Lucky son!!

It really IS great! I'm convinced that your son will love it and he should never learn that you don't love it (yet ... but you will love it, I think)!

You don't have to like it....your son does!! I bet he will LOVE it....Put a black border on it and congratulate yourself on a job well done!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ditter

This is a fantastic quilt - I love it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast