Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
a woven quilt - using 2.5" strips >

a woven quilt - using 2.5" strips

a woven quilt - using 2.5" strips

Old 04-11-2014, 01:48 PM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

Really like it! What a lot of work. I know it's for a bed but it reminds me of picnics! Too lovely to use for that though.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM

That is one of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen and you have done an amazing job! Moda has some of the most wonderful projects and I have a notebook full of them. I don't think I've ever done a Moda project that didn't turn out well and their fabric, well 'nuff said.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:26 PM

This is a great quilt. You did a very nice job. Thanks for the link.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 PM

Love it. Thanks for the addy.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:52 AM

I made one block yesterday after bookmarking your link. It did take ~30 minutes. If someone is going to make a quilt, it would go quicker as you can chain piece. I like your quilt and just may need to make more blocks. I got a little distracted at one point and cut the wrong side. However was able to fix it with just a little bit of patience. I need to pay more attention to detail when I make more. Thanks again, for posting the link.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
I made one block yesterday after bookmarking your link. It did take ~30 minutes. If someone is going to make a quilt, it would go quicker as you can chain piece. I like your quilt and just may need to make more blocks. I got a little distracted at one point and cut the wrong side. However was able to fix it with just a little bit of patience. I need to pay more attention to detail when I make more. Thanks again, for posting the link.
I did too. But I went ahead and finished the blocks. I think I did several like that (at the beginning).

I almost threw them into the orphan pile, but after doing more, I decided that even if the weave went under instead of over, once it is constructed into the quilt, no one, and I mean, "no one--not even me" could find it. So I didn't throw the blocks into the orphan pile. They are incorporated into the quilt top you see. I've sandwiched it now and hope to quilt it on Monday/Tuesday.

The first ones took a long time (That is why I so upset with myself for doing a couple of them wrong.) Then I did 5 at a time--then I worked up to doing 10 at a time. I didn't try to work on this one all by itself, because, as I said, it was tedious. I had a couple of other projects going on as well in order to take a break from this one.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
I like it! Did you trim down your 2 1/2" strips? If not, did you change any of the other measurements to make up the difference? I like it and have bookmarked the pattern too! I'd like to make one too, and I have a lot of strips.
I am not sure what you mean by trimming down the 2.5" strips. I used what they called for, only instead of using a jelly roll, I pulled from my clear plastic bag of 2.5" strips--cut from leftovers/scraps. I looked for strong colors that would sharply contrast. Sometimes I made them similarly on one row so I could have several in a row the same colors for added interest.

I sometimes had to make the seams smaller because I am not always the most careful trimmer--but in the end, it all worked out.

I won't straight stitch quilt it though because my problems with not perfectly matching things would show up too much. I'm planning on a large meander which should hide imperfections pretty well.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

VERY interesting scrappy quilt top. Be interesting to see how you quilt it.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:01 PM

Oh my! So impressive. I would go crazy. My hat is off it you. It's gorgeous! You are so amazing!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:32 PM

My first thought was, Awesome!!