Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Your opinion please--what's wrong here? >

Your opinion please--what's wrong here?

Your opinion please--what's wrong here?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I think it looks gorgeous. If you have more flowered fabric left I would put a border of it on the sides, since it is for a girl and a regular backing fabric for the back, I think that would hold up better and be better in the laundry and last longer than fleece. So generous of you to do this for them.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:11 AM

I think it is very nice the way it is. The combination of the floral and the shirt fabrics connects the girl back to her father very well.
If you have left over cuffs and collars, I would use that treatment for the boys quilt also and have a special boy fabric for sashing between the blocks.
You did a good job.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I think it's great. Leave it as it is.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 AM

You have done a wonderful job, what don't you like about it?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:29 AM

So, I went and read what everyone else wrote and thought "I must have missed something!"
First of all, I wouldn't be taking anything all apart, so I thought ... maybe, the dark I was seeing between the blocks weren't actually sashing and that you had just laid the blocks out and was waiting for suggestions of how to put it together.
I went back to the picture, looked closely, and sure enough! You have a thin sashing between each block ... the quilt is a done deal, in my mind ...
But, it is a wonderful quilt, and as the daughter of a cowboy dad, and the wife of a cowboy hubby - - the sashing is just the right touch. A cowboy without a woman is just plain and crude <g> ... I always told my dad "Mom is the lace for your Levis!"
After reading everything, and checking the picture again - - the quilt is GOOD TO GO!
I still am curious about what you don't like, but it might be because you so captured cowboy that you don't see yourself in it anywhere??? That just means you did an EXCELLENT job!<wave>
Old 05-20-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
The borders need to be separated from the body, maybe a solid color between the two. The cuffs, collars may look better as a pillow as they distract from the beauty of the body.

I like the body of the quilt,
I agree. How about using the cuffs and collars for a pieced backing. Put them in a couple of blocks placed randomly on a larger background or incorporate them into a block for the label with information about the dad.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 AM

What a wonderful remembrance of dad. You've done a wonderful thing for these kids.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:50 AM

Thanks for all the comments. The mother is going to look at it this afternoon and I will see how she feels. I think a wider plain border around the "inside" of the quilt is what I missed doing. I think it is a little too busy, but, yes the floral was put in because this is for the girl. The bother's quilt will be put together with winter camouflage sashing--wider than this one and will be larger blocks. I'm thinking about taking the side borders off this quilt and putting them on the boy's, to incorporate the woven shirt fabric into his quilt. Still thinking. Really appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by moreland
Thanks for all the comments. The mother is going to look at it this afternoon and I will see how she feels. I think a wider plain border around the "inside" of the quilt is what I missed doing. I think it is a little too busy, but, yes the floral was put in because this is for the girl. The bother's quilt will be put together with winter camouflage sashing--wider than this one and will be larger blocks. I'm thinking about taking the side borders off this quilt and putting them on the boy's, to incorporate the woven shirt fabric into his quilt. Still thinking. Really appreciate the feedback.
The mother was just here. We decided to change the border on this quilt to a solid pink, and put these shirt fabric borders on the brother's quilt, so his will have both knits and woven fabrics too. She is happy with how they are coming together. That is what is the most important. We had thought about putting fleece backings, but she is wanting them as keepsakes, so we revisited that decision and I will have my laq do them for me.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

I'm glad Mom seems happy with them.

It would have been a tough challenge for me to try to put all those different sorts of things together.

Those quilts truly are labors of love - -