Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Virus' have been found on your computer >

Virus' have been found on your computer

Virus' have been found on your computer

Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Yes, there have been several threads regarding this over the past two weeks. They are working on it.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM

Default Virus What is going on with the QB ?

I just got a virus from the QB and now I am so afraid to come here. a few minutes after I got my computer back from the shop( $100 ) I got the virus message again from QB. I rush to turn off the computer. Is there a way to find out how many are others are having problems. I would be so sad if I have to give up this board. Any suggestions.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 PM

There have been a few threads over the past two weeks regarding this issue, here's one: http://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help...r-t195707.html

In today's world, one must have up-to-date virus protection. I use Norton Internet Security and it has stopped this attack every time it comes up, at many sites, just not here on the QB. For about $30 a year (buy through Amazon.Com, not directly at Norton/Symantec to get this good price, it protects all three of my computers.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 PM

I recently have gotten a message two or three times while on the QB where a screen pops up and says
"virus found" or something like that and it says click here to to fix problem. I am pretty sure it is a link to a
virus or spyware or something of that nature. You can't click the X to get rid of the screen so I just close the internet and then come back. WHat ever you do DON"T click anything screen like that unless you KNOW it is from your virus protection program.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Yes, an up-to-date protection program is a necessity to deal with the viruses. So many people click on the alert that allows the virus to active. If people would close out the program and internet connections, it would help protect their data. I even disconnect from modem and turn off electricity ... a total shutdown ... and then wait 5 minutes before opening up again. Hope the web designers here can get to the bottom of this virus and clear it off the website very soon. Until then ......
Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Yes, I agree. We have McAfee total protection does a great job but lately there is defientely something going on on the QB. If I get the message I will shut down and turn off the computer I hope they are working on the problem.
Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 PM

I have been getting that message too. I do C-A-D, to bring up the Task manager, and end the program. This is getting real annoying.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Power Poster

I agree with those who recommend a good quality virus protection programme. I have an annual subscription with Trend. Costs me just under $100 and covers three computers. Free-ware is ok, but does have it's limitations. Oh, and I haven't experienced any problems at all with QB.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Administrator

it is not a virus. it's a pop-up ad.
my own theory is that one of the ads being pushed through the space is infected with adware or spyware.
the techs try to block all pop-ups but this one is particularly annoying and was programmed to elude most defense measures.

when the invisible ad/spyware tries to install itself, our own anti-virus programs prevent it.
mine activates the additional step of temporarily blocking all traffic from the website.
that's why it's necessary to shut down the browser completely to get rid of it.

therefore, it's a "good-news-bad-news" thing. the ad and having to close and restart the browser is a pain in the butt. on the other hand, that's at least proof that our AV programs are protecting our computers. it's also important to remember that the board itself is not infected with a virus. as long as you have good AV software installed on your computer and keep it up to date there's nothing to worry about.

if you know how to take a screen-shot, please do that if you get the false AV notice.
send it by email to [email protected]

they will appreciate any clues we can provide to track down the source and block it.

Last edited by patricej; 08-07-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Got it as well but didn't open it...