Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015 Monthly  Color and Design Challenge >

2015 Monthly Color and Design Challenge

2015 Monthly Color and Design Challenge

Old 07-23-2015, 04:12 PM

I'm liking it!
Old 07-27-2015, 12:37 PM

I was planning to work on the B&W nine-patch challenge today, but I couldn't find my fabric! How does one lose a whole herd of zebras? Ack!
Old 07-27-2015, 01:51 PM

Angelia, I hope your herd of zebras finds it way home.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:43 PM

My current challenge project was looking very brown. I rearranged the blocks, grouped the lights in the center and added two more rows with mostly lights. If everything goes as planned, it will be to flimsy stage tomorrow. It just needs the outer border.

I seem to have a problem with my quilts wanting to be bigger than i planned. Maybe I'll try placemats or a table runner for the next challenge!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Default July challenge

Good morning,

My July challenge made it to flimsy stage in the nick of time. It was looking way too brown, so i changed the layout and grouped the stars in the center. Then it looked unbalanced and incomplete, so I added a row of blocks on the top and bottom. I may have to indulge myself with EQ software.

I used my cat, seal point Himalayan, as my reference for color choices. I really tried not to use warm neutrals, but a few sneaked in there somehow.

The design was inspired by a quilt in the book- Coffee-Time quilts by Cathy Wierzbicki. Her book has some great recipes in it too, including Mocha Chocolate Cherry Cookies.

I'm thinking the quilting needs to be curvy, to balance out all the straight lines in the piecing. I won a large spool of gold colored Glide quilting thread on the July quilt shop hop. My McTavishing needs a little more practice before it's debut on this quilt. I'll post another photo when it's done-done.
Attached Thumbnails july-challenge-flimsy.jpg   july-challenge-detail.jpg  
Old 08-01-2015, 09:20 AM

Beautiful fabrics and I like your design.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:39 AM

Lightbulb August Challenge

Hello creative quilters,

Our next two challenges focus on using different types of fabrics. The August challenge is #7, on pages 48-55, in the book Quilt challenge "what if" ideas for color and design.

This month's block has curves. The book has the full size pattern for making templates and also includes information for ordering a template set. We will be working with two types of fabrics which many of us normally may not combine in our quilts. Color choices are completely up to you. Projects can be any size.

Feel free to substitute another block, but try to keep the feel of curves. Consider something like Double wedding ring or Tennessee Waltz, which is all straight seams but creates softer, curved like lines. Remember to post a photo of your project.

Most of all, stretch your quilting comfort zone and have fun!
Old 08-14-2015, 05:07 AM

Hello challenge quilters,

I hope everyone is having a great August. It's been quiet on our challenge thread this month. I'm guessing that vacations, back to school preparations and other end of summer traditions are cutting into everyone's quilting time.

It took some hunting to find fabrics for this months challenge. Plaids are scarce this year at quilt shops and online. My stash wasn't any help. I even searched my bags of scraps! If anyone has found a good source, please share it with the group.

Remember that the rules are getting looser as we work thru the challenges. You may substitute a different block. Maybe take your favorite old or traditional block and modernize it with curves?

Have fun! Remember to post your projects.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:47 PM

Oh I love the idea of modernizing a block with curves!!! This challenge was stumping me. I have black and white 9 patch up on my design wall. I should dig up a picture for you all even though it isn't quite put together.

I also wanted to tell you that my Sailboat quilt won a first place ribbon at the County Fair here in Nevada City. This was my first quilt show (its a small one), and it sure made me feel happy! Thanks for all the inspiration and camaraderie gals.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:04 PM

Here's my black and white one. The green strip you see on the right side will also be on the left and vertically as well (in a cross type shape) The 9-patches are sprinkled in with the 'bricks'.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527959[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2015-08-16-008-600x800-.jpg