Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 10-27-2015, 12:45 PM

Question: If you have a space that needs a 3.5" x 7 3/4" and you want to do a tree, what are your sizes? I am trying to finish a UFO Eleanor Burns Delectable Mountain quilt and having the hardest time because I ran out of fabric that is in yardage, just scraps left now. I used the fabric for a different quilt not realizing I needed it to finish this one. Silly me. I misplaced the book, somewhere around the house, and needing to finish it for a UFO Guild challenge which ends on Monday. Yeah, pushing the envelope. What would be my dimensions? How would I go about getting them evenly proportioned? Would it be fine if they were not all exactly the same? The background fabric is hard to find because is not made anymore and I really am trying not to buy anymore fabric for the rest of the year. Ideas?
Old 11-01-2015, 04:56 PM

Quiltermomma, I have not been much help with your dilemma. Did you ever get the measurements figured out in time for your exchange. Seems like it would have to have been a tall skinny tree to fit in that space. Let us know how it came out. Hard to believe that only 2 more months of UFO challenge for this year. I am truly hoping that next year will be MY year to post a LOT of finishes! I am also in the fabric moratorium and plan to do even better next year with it, too. If I sewed for the entire year, I wonder just how much of a dent I would make in my stash. Hope by this time next year, I can say that I have made a noticeable one but we'll see. I know it is getting close to holidays so not so much ufo finishing will get done. I will try to count up all the finishes before this ends on Dec. 30th.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:24 PM

I should have another UFO to add to the count by the end of next weekend. I finished a quilt yesterday, but it was just started in October, so not a UFO....but glad to have it done DD is helping with my UFOs too while she saves money for fabric for her next quilt...kind of nice as she is working on some baby quilts I've had sitting in the project box for quite a while.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Beautiful. Love blue and the designs are just right. Great job.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 AM

Count me in. I failed miserably with my guild this year. Too any life things got in way. So, trying again and will post pictures, even though I am not a professional
Old 11-05-2015, 05:08 PM

Default November UFO is done.

This is my first string quilt. The top aged a few years waiting it's turn to be quilted. The stripe is an uneven stripe and slowed down block construction. My brain needed to match the strip on each side of the center black strip. Simple in the ditch quilting.
Attached Thumbnails nov.-ufo-finish.jpg  
Old 11-06-2015, 04:56 AM

This is another fun quilt! Great job!!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:57 AM

I'm not sure the Oh Susannah baby quilt counts as a UFO although it took longer than expected. I had a problem quilting it. It still wasn't perfect but it was ok'ed by quilters I trust so I let it go. It was a community quilt and it's getting near the time they hand them out.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Well done...playswithcolor...beautifully mitred corners on the blocks especially with the striped fabric.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:35 AM

Those blocks on the string quilt are gorgeous! I am working on two UFO's right now I am sewing done the binding on a wall hanging for my Sis that's been sitting around since last year. Its a Christmas hanging lol. And I am tearing out some stitches on another partially quilted lap quilt to redo. My babylock Jane will not use the 50 wt thread I wanted no matter what I do so I am going to redo this and get it out the door. I keep finding more UFO's do they breed in the corners when we are not looking? I just found the outside of a Christmas stocking all sewn together just needing the liner and hanger that I do not even remember making?