Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 08-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post
The attack cat quilt is back. It has holes in the backing. That is one jinxed quilt.
Maybe a mouse got to it. Bad kitty!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Okay...here's my mini flimsies...some of the HST's and 4P's have been lanquishing just waiting to be put in the right setting...the Flying geese a friend's leftover cuts from bigger FG...I got tired of making HST's so decided to try PPing the triangles instead. The LC has been just waiting for a border. I'm planning on putting a flange binding using the blue with red flange.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t268773.html
Old 08-15-2015, 06:06 AM

yeppers bad kitty. Maybe I'll find some fabric with mice on it and fussy cut them and applique them on the back. That sounds cute. Hum.....

Well no ufo's except that one so I'm practicing walking foot stitch in the ditch on another community quilt. I think I'm getting better. I tried using a fancy stitch but that absolutely didn't work.

I think I'll put the good luck spider web on this one. I'm feeling daring.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

tkhooper, I think the applique sounds totally cute and an apropos solution. As for the quilting: make sure to go slow. Slightly tuck the seam apart which gives your needle a better chance to land in the ditch. If you don't want it to show at all, use monofilament.

On the patriotic quilt, I actually used the FMQ foot to ditch the seams. Yes, there are small areas where it is more of a "drunken meander along the ditch" (lol) but I think once washed, nobody will notice.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:00 PM

Just finished the hand sewing on binding, that completes another UFO!!!! Yea!!!!! Pics will come soon.

Just 1 more quilt to sew the binding. Then I will work on my Halloween swap blocks.

Thank-you everyone for your nice comments on my last quilt. Happy sewing and quilting everyone.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:30 AM

Thank you for the suggestions I will try them. The stitch in the ditch worked out pretty well. I need a better technique for sewing the ends of the binding together once it is on the quilt. I hate fighting with it to get that diagonal seam. I'm thinking something with hand stitching may be more my speed.

I didn't find any mouse fabric but I did find some cute cat fabric. So I'm going to use that. Wish me luck with the applique. I'm better on straightaways than curves.

I've started making the Starflower Block for our community block this month. I choose a black and white pattern and I'm loving it so far. I was a little afraid that the polka dots were to big but it looks good I think.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:48 AM

Here's a pic of ufo I finished last night. It is a Jacob's ladder with Kansas Trouble fabric. I used 2 jelly rolls and 10" sq to make the quilt. It's a fun quilt to make.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Pretty, pretty, happylab. I have lots of KT fabrics that I should use. This would be perfect....
Old 08-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Happylab, that is gorgeous. Jacob's Ladder is one of my favorite patterns. I feel the need to make another one.

tkhooper: assuming you use the folded binding, here is how I did the last one and it worked like a charm.
1. leave about 4" unsewn to start and about 6" unsewn at the end.
2. Smooth out both folded ends on the quilt and mark where they overlap.
3. Measure the distance of the binding width past the overlap and mark. (Mine was 3" so I marked a 3" overlap.)
4. Trim the overlapped piece at the marked overlap (the distance that the binding is wide).
5. Open up both folded pieces.
6. Align them and pin from point to edge-point. (It is important to make sure that the miter will allow the binding to lay flat. (I had the whole thing flipped - oops)
7. Sew the miter and verify that it is correct.
8. Trim the excess.
9. Fold down the binding and sew it down.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:46 PM

Default It only took 30+ years ...

My Trip Around the World quilt is finally done... I just need to decided what I want to call it and how to label it. It was started in 1984 while my divorce was becoming final and I needed something to keep me occupied that I didn't have to spend money on & could just sit on the floor & work on. Fabrics were whatever sewing scraps I had on hand from years of sewing clothes that I had enough of in the colors I decided to use.The pattern was out of a McCalls Craft Magazine.Template squares hand drawn w/ruler& scissor cut from cereal box cardboard. Individual pieces traced around the templates & scissor cut. Center hand pieced with single thread &running stitch in 1984, early ’85. Re-married;moved from Sacramento, CA to Barstow, CA in May, 1985 – center hung on a hanger& packed away in back of a closet. Settled into life w/one D of mine, a D & S of his, & we had 2more sons. Somewhere in there bought theblack for simple single borders & back according to pattern in Barstow whenworking on youngest 2 boys 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] of matching bunk bed quilts (1[SUP]st[/SUP]in 1987 & 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] between 1990-’95). Decided 80” square not big enough, beganresearching ideas for increasing size.
Moved to Mohave Valley, AZ in 1997,joined the Colorado River Quilters Guild & showed the center (which had beenstored since 1985). By Fall, 1999 rethought quilt & proceeded - addingblack piping around “medallion” center, then 7” muslin inner border, 2” red - 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]inner border, and finished w/7” black outside border – all w/mitered corners. In July 2000 found black & whitecheckered backing fabric in quilt shop in Flagstaff while on an NAU outingw/son Doug. Decided to add 10” blackborders to backing square for sizing & interest. Floor basted the layers together (using theinexpensive polyester type batting found in plastic bags at Joanne’s fabrics…) andbasted the quilt onto the hand quilting frame poles. It then hung in our hall gallery “as is”until I took it down in 2009 and actually did the hand quilting after I decidedon how I wanted to quilt the center & had settled on the Celtic Knotpattern and had it drawn to size to fit the muslin border & corners. After completing the main body of quilting& the white inner border I again showed it at the guild and afterexplaining my idea to straight line quilt (like piano keys) went along w/theirrecommendations of cross-hatching the red-black borders. By this time I was beginning to teach myselfmachine quilting having started on my little White “Jeans” Machine, graduatingto a brother 1600 on a 6’-10’ frame and graduating up to a Tin Lizzie Eighteenon a 10’ frame, but being a die hard old fashioned hand quilter, really didwant to finish this one by hand considering it had been done all by hand sofar. It sat a lot while I learned &practiced more machine stuff – both piecing & long-arm quilting. Didall 4 sides of the red/black borders & really didn’t like the finished lookso decided to re-stitch to my original idea of straight lines (Still had timeto have it done for our 25[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary). Derwin died May, 2011 – a couple weeks afterour 26[SUP]th[/SUP]. It again sat – butthis time folded up in a glass fronted cupboard along w/a few other handstitching projects as I had to return to teaching full-time until I could pull RRretirement at age 60. Moved from AZ backto El Dorado Hills, CA in Sept. 2013. Slowly began to get back into my quilting after the first year or so ofsettling in to a new chapter in my life and decided it would be a good fit inthe living room of that home. Had acouple opportunities to take a hand project out of state for family stuff so itwent & actually got worked on while I was out of my studio & finallyfinished.
I know in my perfectionist, oldschool quilting head, all the things I have done wrong (or - not that they werewrong, but could have been done much better and/or differently) with this quiltas I have learned new ways & sometimes smarter ways to do things, etc… overthe past 30 years. But it is mine, forme, and actually I am quite pleased with how it has come out J

Attached Thumbnails august-2015-wall-1-web-ready.jpg   august-2015-wall-3-web-ready.jpg   august-2015-wall-close-up-quilting-web-ready-1.jpg   august-2015-wall-close-up-quilting-web-ready-2.jpg