Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 08-20-2015, 01:03 PM

Carrie: Thanks for the link. I quickly read through it and that is the way I made my "block kits". I cut through 8 layers all at the same time. I think that method goes a long way towards keeping those bias edges from being pulled out of shape. Hope you will post pictures when the quilt starts to emerge.
WMUT & TK: I think your imagining that the process is a lot harder then it really is. It takes a lot of fabric because you are making almost a whole quilt out of one fabric. The quilt I made is 100" by 100". Wish I had taken a picture of the fabric before I cut it all up. If my memory serves, this was actually a home dec fabric that was 60" wide and on sale. I really think any large print fabric will work, so don't let fear of picking the wrong fabric discourage you. It really and truly is a lot of fun.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:01 PM

Emma, thanks for the encouragement. I have such a long list of "some day quilts" it just isn't funny any more. I really need to retire so I can devote my 10 hours a day at the office to 10 hours a day at the sewing machine. Four more years, four more years, four more years!
Old 08-20-2015, 05:37 PM

Here is what I have so far on my quilt. I have all but 5 of the main block finished but decided to make 2 quilts so am making 4-patch blocks (using scraps to make the 4 patch posy blocks) to alternate with...both quilts will be different designs. On one I will alternate where the purple and blue fabrics are. This is my original fabrics (only in a different color palette...couldn't find the purple/blue online any more its been a few years since I bought it):http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiffany-in-R...item2c57872b68
Attached Thumbnails dsc00837.jpg   dsc04014.jpg  
Old 08-20-2015, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

You always choose such rich colors, Carrie...But isn't it amazing what the purple does for the individual block...really sets the stage for the Kscope as does the purple and teal on the 4PPosy. This will be sew lovely...
Old 08-21-2015, 04:05 AM

WMUT: Really understand. Before I retired, I was a fabric curator not a quilter. Main reason my stash is so large. Your time will come and when it does you can spend as much time as you want in your sewing room.
Wow Carrie that is beautiful fabric. Blue and purple is one of my very favorite combinations Going to be a lovely quilt.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Emma, thanks for the encouragement. I have such a long list of "some day quilts" it just isn't funny any more. I really need to retire so I can devote my 10 hours a day at the office to 10 hours a day at the sewing machine. Four more years, four more years, four more years!
WMUTeach - I 'retired' 1 and a half years ago, but I really haven't dug myself out of the 'someday' quilt list... instead of finishing everything, I think I just found more time to START more quilts !
Old 08-22-2015, 01:21 PM

Oh, Sherry that is my fear. I am working on completing a quilt a month now. This really helps cut down on "someday list". So why am I on this site at this minute ..... I should be at the machine! Love my time there and planning and piecing and...... I suspect I will be at my machine for ever. I am sure the good Lord will have me sewing angle suits in the here after.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 PM

Auntjo...what a story. Hope you can attach it to the quilt somehow for future generations reference. And to those of you who made or are making stack & whack/kscope quilts, kudos to you all. they all turn out so lovely. Like all of you, I have to limit my wishes to what I can realistically finish in the years I have left....hopefully at least 15 quiltable ones. LOL! Thanks for all the pictures everyone.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:16 AM

I understand the quilt bucket list situation perfectly. It seems like everytime I turn around I see a fabric or quilt that I just have to add to the list. The most recent is the star flower with outlining, sashing, and corner blocks. I want to make two one for a community quilt for practice and one for me. Of course this means the christmas quilt won't be finished by this christmas.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:10 AM

TK: Better on a list than started. I just counted and I have 43 quilts in various stages of completion. Most of them are tops that are finished but waiting to be sandwiched and quilted. I need a LA.