2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-18-2016, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
I caved in. Not sure if this counts or not, but I bought a bolt of 108" wide muslin to back quilt tops. Am I a moratorium failure?
No not at all.
Without it, you wouldn't be able to finish your UFO'S.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539696[/ATTACH]my first finished baby quilt top of the year made only from my stash. I have enough to do a matching one just like this with an orange/dog print replacing the dark blue/zoo print on this one. I am really taking this moratorium serious!!!!
Beautiful quilts, way to go.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:55 PM

I jumped off the wagon but I am climbing back on! .

I should NEVER go shopping when I am tired! I needed background fabric for the scrappy Dresden Plates that I am making for my son's wedding from my MIL's fabric. I didn't have the pattern for yardage or any of the blades to audition colors with me so I bought 3 different backgrounds-Yes 3!(read it as 'too tired to make a decision' lol!). One of them is 108" wide and is navy so I can use that for the backing if I don't choose it for the background. I had a 40% off coupon for this fabric. The other 2 fabrics are Kona and I have never purchased that brand before but they were on sale plus I had a 20% off coupon. It still was expensive because I needed double the length to be wide enough for a queen. One of them is a eggshell blue and one a navy that is a different value than the 108" wide fabric.

I usually don't buy fabric because I do mostly charity quilts and that material comes from donations. This past week, I received one very large garbage bag full of material which I will sort through before I give it to the intended charity. Some of it may stay at my house so I can cut baby items from it for the charity. I also got 2 shopping bags of fabric from my church group. Off white strips are rolled into 2 balls of about 8" in diameter. It looks like someone was ripping fabric for bandages! Lol. There were also some printed strips, triangles, etc that were left over pieces from someone's projects. I really need to start saying 'no' to some of these donations but I will use them eventually. Plus the donations are so much fun to go through!

Connie

P.S. I know that background fabric/backing aren't considered falling off the wagon but my 'overbuying' certainly falls into that category.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

Yup it's hard to say "no", retiredteacher....a guild friend gave me a small sack...DGD#4 (6 yo) found it and picked out fabrics for a quilt for her big sister's BD this week...now Gram's got it pieced together...doll quilt size...have I created a monster in this sweet little girl.....? I told her she had to be 8 when I'd teach her to sew...

So much for UFO finishing....
Old 01-19-2016, 08:55 AM

I'm joining this one as well. I did very well last year, but it wasn't a fair fight because I truly hate shopping or spending money, so it's pretty easy to not buy fabric. I had already promised myself that I wouldn't spend money on more fabric until I had used up most of my stash anyway, long before I had joined last year's group. I wouldn't have purchased any fabric at all, except DD hated the fabric I picked out for my grandson's quilt and he desperately needed a quilt for his twin bed, so I had no choice.

I finished that quilt this weekend and it's being mailed out to him today. I now have on my sewing table, all the pieces for a baby sized bow tie quilt. I pulled lots of blues from my stash to go with some yardage I had, so it should be pretty. It goes to my aunt's first great-grandchild.

Over Christmas, my son told me that he needed a new quilt. It will be a queen size and since he doesn't care about color, I'll use what's in my stash. I have larger yardage pieces I'll use.

We just need to keep people healthy in our family. Hubby needs get his blood cell counts up so he doesn't have to have another round of chemo and at the beginning of the month, his mom passed away unexpectedly. His dad's health is not good and we're trying to get him to rally. Quilting is my sanity saving activity, but work is so overwhelming sometimes that I come home, sit down and fall asleep. Just hoping for some quiet, stress free times coming up.

Here's that quilt I just finished. [ATTACH=CONFIG]540581[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 635_a0117_5fb19211_oj.jpg  
Old 01-19-2016, 12:21 PM

Laurie- Love your quilt. It's perky, modern and soothing to look at all in one! Good Job!!! Hope your life settles down some, but isn't it great to have something you can do to calm your spirit and get away from it all for awhile?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:56 PM

I had gorgeous fabrics picked out, but DD thought they looked old-fashioned. This one is anything but. Mitchell loved the green, because there are blue numbers throughout. He's only 4, so he thought it was cool.

Doesn't look like life is going to settle down right now. Hubby just came home from one of his appointments. If his white count doesn't come up by Monday, he's looking at another bone marrow biopsy and another week of chemo and another 6 weeks after that of waiting to feel good and numbers to come up. He's already stir crazy. I might have to teach him to quilt so he can use up my stash while I work!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Mitch's Gram, Love the chevrons! I also hope that things improve for your family. There was a post today in the picture section http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t274731.html
Her husband started quilting too! This might be a trend.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:44 AM

I just checked out the new quilter. That's a great quilt. Maybe I don't want Hubby to start quilting. I don't want him to start doing a better job than I do!
Old 01-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

OK, I think I might have yet another problem. I might need to add machines to my personal moratorium. Went to the thrift shop and got a beautiful Singer 99K. $11. In the case (so-so needs a bit of TLC) no feet or attachments, but I already have them. Runs great. My husband, the enabler, made me do it.