2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
I am wondering what the difference is in UFO and WIP. They are to me a bit of both in my workroom.
WIP means work in progress so you are actually working it. UFO can be anything that sits there in various stages of completion but it is not actively being worked on. Now it is possible to have UFO in WIP or relegate a WIP to the UFO pile.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
WIP means work in progress so you are actually working it. UFO can be anything that sits there in various stages of completion but it is not actively being worked on. Now it is possible to have UFO in WIP or relegate a WIP to the UFO pile.
Thanks, guess it looks like to me then I have some of both, well several of both, well quite a few actually. Have a good night.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:01 PM

I'm with you. Been trying to do this for a while! Praying for strength!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:22 PM

Well! Hubby painted youngest son old bedroom (now 33 married/2 daughters) in October and I redecorated it to get it ready for oldest son and his family to visit for Thanksgiving! That's where my extra stash was that could not fit in my sewing room! I really have enough to own a small fabric store! Long story, short hubby discovered it and in all earnest told me I had far too much and didn't need to buy anymore (had to temporarily store some in his office)! Promised I wouldn't buy anymore and will give lots away. Well, that only lasted until Jo'ann's after Christmas sale...I'm joining the moratorium! I won't sew all I have in 2 lifetimes! Fabric fanatic! Fabricholic! Fabric addict! Was once the same way about shoes, but asked God to deliver me and He did! Need strength to ask the same for fabric! 😪
Old 01-07-2017, 06:50 PM

So far, I'm doing good... I have resisted all the sales, and deleted emails from fabric stores.

However, I got an order for a consignment quilt, so I had to order fabric for that... but, since it's not *MINE* and the customer paid enough deposit to pay for the fabric, that kind of gives me a fabric "fix". AND... I'll be using some of my stash to finish this too!

I've been longarming a customer quilt today, and once it's finished, have another two waiting in line. The next one up will use up some of my stash as well, for the backing.

Progress is being made... slowly, but still...
Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 PM

I used my stash for making quilt block sandwiches. 25 of them. I am going to practice fm. on them. It's one of the musts for this year. I really need to be better with this skill. I've got several quilt tops done and I want to get them quilted. I've done a lot of straight stitching; cross hatch, outlining, in the ditch. I've used my embroidery machine to do a few quilts too. I just ordered a ruler foot and rulers so I think this is getting serious. Does this purchase count against me? Seems like I always find a way to spend money on this hobby!
Old 01-08-2017, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
I used my stash for making quilt block sandwiches. 25 of them. I am going to practice fm. on them. .....I just ordered a ruler foot and rulers so I think this is getting serious. Does this purchase count against me? Seems like I always find a way to spend money on this hobby!
Not unless you also added some fabric to the order LOL! Have fun using your new ruler foot. Ruler work is a lot of fun.

Rob
Old 01-08-2017, 05:59 AM

Hey everyone! Last autumn I found this thread and lurked as everyone supported each other through the sales and birthdays and special moments, but I could not make the commitment to stop buying. This year I decided to take the plunge. I saved all my receipts since I found this thread and it has been an eye-opener. I didn't realize I was spending so much money on projects that never got finished. Now, with the focus fabric bought for various birthday projects I hereby promise to shop my stash first! Like others, I have to organize better, so I am asking for help and patience. I need to clean my sewing space and finish what I've started. It's overflowing and has pushed into the living room!
Old 01-08-2017, 06:38 AM

Ok, I'm joining. I almost ordered fabric this morning, but remembered reading this thread last night. I have a fabric buying problem.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:41 AM

I'm in. I almost order fabric this morning. Yikes!!! I'm Margie and I have a fabric buying problem.