2017 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-08-2017, 07:58 AM

Welcome Newbies and returning members. I look forward to reading how you do through out the year. Happy quilting and sewing.

I'm in again this year as well. Last year I did fairly well. I only bought fabric when I went on a bus trip, went to Mo Star Quilt Co, and a few times to my LQS and during my Birthday Month. This year I plan to shop from my stash. I shopped from my stash 2016/2017 for BH mystery. I only bought the bright pink fabric. Judy started her Mystery quilt train ride Saturday. I plan to use my stash only. Like most people here, I have a large fabric selection as well. I also plan to complete UFO's with fabric I only have on hand, except backing and binding fabric.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

My Cousin came to visit yesterday to use my Studio cutter. The best part was SHE shopped my stash!!!! 12 yards gone and the best part was she paid me for the fabric. Does that mean I can buy more? OK, I guess not.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
My Cousin came to visit yesterday to use my Studio cutter. The best part was SHE shopped my stash!!!! 12 yards gone and the best part was she paid me for the fabric. Does that mean I can buy more? OK, I guess not.
Paper....you are too funny. I am believing that part of this is to not find reasons, excuses, or anything else that would cause us to buy and the make it look like it was okay to do it. Does panels count??
Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

@all2pieces, I appreciate your thought process and want to caution you. If you look at this moratorium as an "all or nothing" proposition you could set yourself up to fail. I did that in the beginning and went into withdrawal at the thought of "oh dear - no more new fabric?" Once I started viewing this moratorium in earnest, I stopped a lot of my impulse buys. I stopped most of the fabric sale emails and I made a commitment to work on UFOs. All that said, I still shop for backings, I still get to supplement projects if the stash does not yield the right combination, and I still get to fill in color gaps. On occasion when I really feel the need to buy fabric for the sake of the enjoyment, I buy it and gift it. Just have fun with the rest of us. We are always here when one of us falls (or jumps) off the wagon.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

It's great to have the group grow. Sorry, Princess - no fabric buying with the money. (Wagging finger from California, lol)

@AnngelAnn, are you trying to justify the purchase of a panel? Unless you had tons of rows that were in need of a panel, I guess it doesn't count as an exemption. Nice try though, hehe. I see we are adding to the collective craftiness of this bunch.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Some things are very enabling!!!
Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 PM

I spent the last few days using fabric for dog quilts. I have saved boxes of fabric's for years and I finally started digging into them using up a lot of fabric. I used the big pieces as backing and when they get smaller I cut them into squares to use or use them as strips. It would have been so much easier to use these snow days to buy fabric on line but each time I thought about it I turned the computer off and made another dog quilt. Hey this idea of using what I have is working !
Old 01-08-2017, 06:28 PM

I spent the day re-thinking the colors I had chosen for the temperature quilt. Once I got all my color choices straightened out I organized my fabrics, cut the temperature hst for Jan. 1-7 paired them with black and stitched together. so, all caught up on that. I was able to pull all the fabric from stash

Rob
Old 01-09-2017, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
It's great to have the group grow. Sorry, Princess - no fabric buying with the money. (Wagging finger from California, lol)

@AnngelAnn, are you trying to justify the purchase of a panel? Unless you had tons of rows that were in need of a panel, I guess it doesn't count as an exemption. Nice try though, hehe. I see we are adding to the collective craftiness of this bunch.
Me???Justifying??? Never, lol. I was just asking, want to get all my facts straight, prove a point, ummmmmmm lets see what other cover up I can use, lol, and just plain having fun with it. I seriously feel better and not so guilty with my stash knowing others out there is as bad. I never want anyone to see my sewing room, but now its getting so I don't care. I am working on what I have and with what I have, ignoring emails with "sales" because usually they are sales for them, not me, it just looks good. I can do this. I just have to keep saying that. Have fun everyone, and I am here to support you all as you are me.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Oh I see you fit right in AnngelAnn. lol