Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2017 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 11-08-2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Rose-I love the quilting on your bordered bargello! Nice finish!

I’m working on a November finish—just needs binding, and have another couple of smallish things that may get done if I can get Caught up on Christmas gifts— for some reason this year I’m having a hard time coming up with presents for some barn friends that we always exchange something handmade.... in the past from me they’ve gotten 1. jewelry with pics of their horses, 2.crocheted neck collars with fancy Celtic horse buttons, 3.candle wreaths made with horse fabric from my stash, 4. Horse themed placemats made with fabric from my stash, etc. I’m out of horse fabric and ideas! I need gifts for 5 people, so they need to be something that I can make 5 of by early December!

Rob
How about napkins with horse heads appliqued on? Could coordinate with the placemats from the earlier occasion. The napkins could be readymade except for the appliques. I haven't checked lately, but World Market used to have a nice array of solid color napkins. Tuesday Morning had some recently. Most likely there are good online sources. A restaurant supply business would be a likely place to look. I am often on the lookout for "blanks" that I can embellish (usually with the embroidery machine), and they're surprisingly hard to find. Everyone sells already embellished or brightly printed napkins and dish towels and such.

A nice gift for a woman is a pretty washcloth tied around a bar of special soap with a ribbon. A washcloth can have an applique in one corner and binding like a quilt or a crocheted edge. Those could start as terry cloth yard goods.

You could buy 5 different boxes of flavored teas and mix and match them and present them in little handmade zipper pouches or just bags tied closed with a ribbon. You might need to get more horse fabric.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:42 AM

Kassaundra, Petthefabric And Rose- thanks for the suggestions! I went through one of my fabric drawers and found some fleece fabric with horses on it (that I’d forgotten about). There’s enough to make beanies and possibly enough left over to do matching mittens or scarves if I cut carefully. I only need 5 of these presents so I think those things would be doable in time for our Early December gathering!

Meanwhile, I’m adding all ya’lls suggestions to my list for next year and I’m going to start gathering materials for them Now, which includes keeping an eye out for more horse fabric (shhhh- don’t tell any of my companions over on the fabric moratorium )

Rob
Old 11-09-2017, 09:59 AM

What happens in the fabric store STAYS in the fabric store.
Kassaundra, Petthefabric And Rose- thanks for the suggestions! I went through one of my fabric drawers and found some fleece fabric with horses on it (that I’d forgotten about). There’s enough to make beanies and possibly enough left over to do matching mittens or scarves if I cut carefully. I only need 5 of these presents so I think those things would be doable in time for our Early December gathering!

Meanwhile, I’m adding all ya’lls suggestions to my list for next year and I’m going to start gathering materials for them Now, which includes keeping an eye out for more horse fabric (shhhh- don’t tell any of my companions over on the fabric moratorium )

Rob
Old 11-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Default 5 UFOs finished!

Hey everyone, I'm counting these 5 beanies as UFO finishes. I bought the fabric 2 years ago and cut out the pattern pieces, then discovered that there wasn't enough to make 7 matching caps and mittens (which was how many I needed for barn friends at the time) and there was no more to be found anywhere on the internet, so I put it away and forgot about it. Since 2 barn friends moved away to another barn, I now only need 5. That's the good news,

Unfortunately I was shy just about 1/4 yard of being able to make 5 pairs of mittens, so the rest is put away for now. So will have to come up with something else to go along with the beanies...

Rob
Attached Thumbnails img_1546.jpg  
Old 11-10-2017, 04:17 PM

Rob, love those beanies.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:54 PM

Rose_P, this is beautiful. Congratulations on your UFO finish! Toot, Toot!
Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Jaba, love the DP4! I have one of those among my UFO's. Maybe it will be next. I just finished this one from 5 years ago. It started with a remnant that I used to experiment with 4-Patch Posey. Then it was hard to come up with a use for those 5 blocks, especially since they were not in colors that I'd usually pick and I don't know too many people who would have a place for it in their home. It's 60", a good size for a couch, but who wants purple, orange and yellow for that? Then just as I finished and put this in the washer my husband brought in the mail and I got a card from an old friend who moved away in 2000. She said she'd had both knees replaced recently. I knew immediately who should be getting all these cheerful colors, and it's on its way to her. I quilted this on my Babylock embroidery machine, except for the outer border, which has just simple channel quilting.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:59 PM

Darling little quilt! Congrats Glojean and Toot, Toot!
Originally Posted by Glojean48 View Post
I started this little quilt early last year, thinking I'd get a jump start on what I donate to Friends of Alaska CASA silent quilt auction in November - finished it just a few days ago, just over a week before the deadline.:-) I hand-embroidered the little bird and machine-quilted the borders. A November finish, Janice.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Another one, make that two, Rose? Very nice. Fun, bright colors on the I Spy! And I like the subdued colors in the second one. Toot, Toot on your 2 UFO finishes.

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Thanks to all who mentioned my quilt and made me feel welcome here!

I'm pretty sure I have only finished two of my UFO's this year, but finished a few quilts that were started this year, at least not adding to the UFO pile. I'm hoping to get one more UFO done before the end of the year.

I found I did have a picture of this little I-spy quilt that I started in April of 2012 and finished in April of 2017. I gave it to a grand nephew, who was born last fall. His twin sister got another quilt that had been in the UFO bin for some time, but it was finally finished a couple of years ago and kept in case anyone had a girl. I think this is about 42" square, all sewn on the machine. No excuse for it not getting done sooner, but it was kind of nice having something partly ready when I needed a baby gift.

Last edited by Janice McC; 11-10-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 PM

All right! Five UFO finishes. Congratulations on your Beanie finishes. Toot, Toot!
Hey everyone, I'm counting these 5 beanies as UFO finishes. I bought the fabric 2 years ago and cut out the pattern pieces, then discovered that there wasn't enough to make 7 matching caps and mittens (which was how many I needed for barn friends at the time) and there was no more to be found anywhere on the internet, so I put it away and forgot about it. Since 2 barn friends moved away to another barn, I now only need 5. That's the good news,

Unfortunately I was shy just about 1/4 yard of being able to make 5 pairs of mittens, so the rest is put away for now. So will have to come up with something else to go along with the beanies...

Rob
Old 11-10-2017, 09:43 PM

Rob, the beanies are great as they are. Mittens seem like a lot of trouble, and can people wear them while riding a horse? These days everyone wants fingers free for using touch screens, so maybe fingerless gloves or wristlets would be a possibility with the amount of fabric you have left. Can't think if I've seen a pattern for those (other than knitting), but it's probably out there. Will google a bit.