Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2017 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

2017 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 04-03-2017, 08:23 AM

Love those Linda. Great finishes!!!!!!!

Thank you everyone. I will be sure to share when I get back, in meantime, lets get some UFOs finished.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:41 AM

Congratulations, terrific quilts, LTeachergeorge! I'm sure two lucky people will be thrilled with your quilts. The scrappy stars quilt is a particular favorite. Toot, Toot!QUOTE=LTeachergeorge;7795663]Whoops! Forgot to take a picture of the second one.[ATTACH=CONFIG]570780[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=LTeachergeorge;7795661]Finally have a couple finishes. These are charity quilts made for the Honor Flight attendees. The one with stars was a 3
Old 04-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Getting ready to post the tally...does anyone have another to post that you finished last month? I'll probably post tomorrow.

I'm happy to report I SHOULD have a mini finished soon. I lost my quilting mojo but I've played around a bit the last couple of days with my scraps and now I can hardly wait to finish my little HST quilt. Maybe in the next week I'll have something to add to your finishes. Maybe???
Old 04-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

All of my distractions have made progress. 12 BOM blocks are completed and the sashing sewn. A small top ready to be donated to the Veteran's Group at the guild. Now to put the binding on a friend's quilt and then I'm ready to tackle my next UFO.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Just saw the cheddar and purple small quilt...how did I miss this SheriR? Well done.

A week ago 11 yo DGD helped me glue baste a crazy block quilt. Now to find the time to quilt this 2 yo UFO....hopefully an April finish.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 AM

Default Here we go for March!

Thanks, congratulations and Toot, Toots go out to all of the following people for their combined 22 UFO finishes for the month of March: Glojean48, MadQuilter, SheriR, QuilterMomma, MotorcycleMad, Buglady, Kassaundra, Rryder, Cherrybsixty, Oksewglad, DJ, Grinch and LTeachergeorge. Great job!

These finishes bring the year's total to 75!

What can we do in April? Who will have the first finish for the month???
Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 AM

I am hoping to be on that list for a first. Ha ha. I am in the process of trying a new concept on quilting those BOM type of quilts. It took a few tries to get my brain wrapped around it at 4:00am, yeah could not sleep. Once I got going, I was booking. Nearly done quilting it. Will finish it up tonight and get the binding on. Also, I finally got a Black, red, and white Bargello top sewn. Now for those borders which I did get cut and ready to go. Will sew that up during lunch today and it will be ready for the longarm. Binding is cut, just needs pressed. Not going to hand sew this binding you know. It will be machine stitched. These are going to be loved quilts, not show quilts. I generally don't hand stitch my bindings unless I want them for show. Call it lazy, but they get done this way. I have way to many tops to get done and I do not like handwork.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Quiltermomma, are you doing custom quilting on the BOM? I have a few BOM tops too and don't quite know yet how to approach them. My big worry is consistency in density.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:06 PM

MadQuilter, that is an easy issue to resolve. Have you seen Bethanne Nemesh's books? She discusses that very same issue in them. Her book, "Smack Down" explains that taking the approach as a whole cloth quilt instead of each individual block will resolve the issue of uneven quilting and allowing you a secondary pattern thru the quilting. Since my BOM is only 12 blocks, I am using the log cabin style of furrows to achieve a finished secondary pattern while quilting evenly. Like I said earlier, hoping to finish it tonight. I used a light backing so the quilting will show for sure plus, excuse the confusion, I am using up bobbin threads so there are different neutrals on the back. Once you see the quilting, you will understand. If you can, purchase the book. Great tool to have.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the book tip. I'll go check it out.